Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missing Bolts - front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
So I was under the front end last night removing the nuts on the brake MC and I noticed a hole with threads showing. A bolt is missing on both sides. Can someone tell me what goes here and why they would both be gone.

sr
bondo
Those two bolts also hold the belly pan on (a piece of sheet metal that covers the master cylinder/steering rack area). Not sure what size they are. There are two more smaller bolts that also hold the cover on that are also undoubtedly missing.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 8 2004, 10:22 AM)
Those two bolts also hold the belly pan on (a piece of sheet metal that covers the master cylinder/steering rack area). Not sure what size they are. There are two more smaller bolts that also hold the cover on that are also undoubtedly missing.

Thanks, looks like I need to get that belly pan peice.
URY914
Actually you need those bolts to hold more than just the pan. They also secure the steering rack to the car. ohmy.gif

You need these. It's a shollow hole (no jokes please) so you need a short bolt. But find them and install them.

Paul
type47
it's about a 15mm bolt or what ever the bolt is that you use a 19mm socket for. while you're reinstalling the skid plate, you need 2 13mm bolts for the rear holes of the skid plate.
Cap'n Krusty
10mm x1.5 thread pitch x 30mm length. You'll also need a flat washer and a lock washer. The Cap'n
seanery
the lock washer is the wavey type not the split type, yes?
Rhodes71/914
Anyone have a skid plate/bell pan/cover that they want to sell? I didn't get one with the car.
seanery
Who's closer to you Morphenspectra or Boxstr?

I bet both of those guys have them.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 8 2004, 11:53 AM)
Anyone have a skid plate/bell pan/cover that they want to sell? I didn't get one with the car.

i might, if i dont, i gave it to drifter jay.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 8 2004, 10:50 AM)
the lock washer is the wavey type not the split type, yes?

Porsche uses the split type "steel-to-steel." The Cap'n
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 8 2004, 10:54 AM)
Who's closer to you Morphenspectra or Boxstr?

I bet both of those guys have them.

I think they are both in the Portland area, about 3 hours away from me.
SirAndy
agree.gif you need 'em!

your steering rack will flex like crazy without them. not good.

ask me how i know ...
headbang.gif Andy
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 8 2004, 10:35 AM)
10mm x1.5 thread pitch x 30mm length. You'll also need a flat washer and a lock washer. The Cap'n

What he said.

I bought a metric kit from a great hardware store. It has eveything from 4mm to 10mm, nuts, washers, bolts, lock washers. Good for these kind of problems.
Eddie Williams
isn't the steering rack attached to the top of the crossmember? those look like the rear crossmember to body mounts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Oct 8 2004, 09:30 PM)
isn't the steering rack attached to the top of the crossmember? those look like the rear crossmember to body mounts.

same difference ... but you're right. crossmember. still flexing like crazy without the rear bolts tho ...

icon8.gif Andy
URY914
Read my lips...

Put the bolts in.
watsonrx13
agree.gif

Here's a shot of the bolt before removal. This is the rear control arm support bracket, you need to fix this NOW!!! before you do any more driving.
Rhodes71/914
I have got the bolt and yes they will go in before I do any more driving. Pedal cluster is out now and I ned to do some break work so I couldn't drive it if I wanted to. Makes me wander why they are gone in the first place.

Thanks for the help.

Now back to pounding on my pedal cluster damn it. smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 9 2004, 09:09 AM)
Makes me wander why they are gone in the first place.

someone removed the pan to work under there and didn't bother to put it back on ...

i've seen this more than once,
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.