Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smog Equipment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm going to be removing all of the smog equipment off of my motor when I put it back together (should be in about 10-12 days). '76 2.0 California (motor that is). I will be putting it in an older car for uh, er, TRACK USE ONLY! Yeah, that's it. Track use. I was wondering if you kind folk could give me some tips on what exactly I can or should remove. I know the cat and air pump for sure, and will plug the head for the air injection but I want to make sure I don't inadvertantly remove and/or plug something that will be needed. What about the charcoal canister and associated hoses. I have a before diagram, I was hoping maybe an after diagram that someone could provide. Thanks.
nebreitling
EGR (from exhaust) too. plug holes left (muffler/air box)

you can yank the charcoal canister, not hard to figure out the plumbing.

and if you're serious, backdate the exhaust or get headers.

THAT SAID, since you're in California, you'll be screwed when your next smog-check comes around again.
SirAndy
i can tell you what you need biggrin.gif

you need a dizzy, coil, intake-runners, throttlebody, TPS, air-cleaner, MPS, fuel-pressure regulator, injectors, plug-wires and sparkplugs, the wireing harness, the oil-filler vent, head vents, PCV valve + hoses, a couple of feet of highpressure fuel line and FI hose clamps.

everything else can be junked ...
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 8 2004, 12:38 PM)
THAT SAID, since you're in California, you'll be screwed when your next smog-check comes around again.

he said it was for an earlier car, just a late motor ...

wink.gif Andy
Allan
Thanks guys. I'll post pics as it goes back together and maybe you guys can catch any of my screw-ups. beer.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 8 2004, 11:41 AM)
he said it was for an earlier car, just a late motor ...

thanks, still haven't fully come around today wacko.gif
Root_Werks
Brings up something interesting:

If you were to put on an aftermarket FI system, say a Mega Squirt or something that still enabled your 914 to pass emission, would CA black flag you for it? Just wondering. idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 8 2004, 02:28 PM)
would CA black flag you for it?

yupp, wouldn't pass the "visual" ...

unsure.gif Andy
dmenche914
Yes, air pump can be removed, but plug the head holes, The EGR can be removed if it failed, but it is not a big performance robber. The gas vapour system can be removed, but why do it? It takes no performance away, and does help with gas fumes.

be sure to keep all the stuff, it is sure to increase in value, and one day you might be forced to put it back on.

for the rare exhaust system, keep it in a box nice and safe, for there are no aftermarket repoductions I know of, it is already expensive.

good luck

dave
Allan
I understand about the need to keep the original equipment, I just want to get rid of all the stuff I don't need to make the most HP. As it stands, I will do away with ALL smog equipment that I can. I just want to take a '76 CA. 2.0 AND MAKE IT FAST.. OOPS sorry, didn't mean to yell. Tell me about the early heat exchangers. That is important...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.