Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to buy front oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
I want to install front oil cooler, for a high compression 2.8.
What the best on the market?

Thanks,

Retro
J P Stein
I like Fluidyne. Dunno if they're the "best", but they're a good lookin' unit and customer service is top notch. You can deal with them direct.....Goggle ought to find them.
Brad Roberts
Fluidyne all the way. The thermal characteristics of the Fluidyne are leaps and bounds above the sandwhich style Mocal/Earls/Setrab. Bottom line: they are more efficient.

B
J P Stein
Yeah.....what he said...all them thermalthingys. blink.gif
Brad Roberts
The radiator style just works. All the factory Porsches use a radiator style oil cooler (993's came stock with one mounted in the right front fender) Even our stock 4cyl oil coolers are radiator style.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2004, 10:32 PM)
Fluidyne all the way.

how much for one?

i have the "while i'm in there" itch ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Trekkor
What could I expect to pay for a nice set-up?

KT
retrotech
Thanks Brad & JP.
Which model do you suggest?
Do you still agree to vent under the car, which seems wrong to me.
I would think out the hood would be best?
SirAndy
QUOTE(retrotech @ Oct 8 2004, 10:47 PM)

oh oh, you shouldn't have said that ....
retrotech
oh, oh, why?
Now what have I started?

Retro
Trekkor
You'll see... ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
Out the hood works best. It tends to dump heat into the passenger compartment when the roof is off the car. Track car.. exit out the hood. Street car.. exit beneath the car.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(retrotech @ Oct 8 2004, 10:53 PM)
Now what have I started?

brad hates the "through the hood" idea. i have argued with him on several occasions and he has nothing good to say about it.

if i recall right, his main argument was "with the roof off, you'll be getting all this extra hot air inside" ...

i guess guys from texas don't need hot air?
laugh.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Choose from these. I have installed/ran just about everything on this page:

http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_theoc.html

B
SirAndy
so, b. meister, seriously, what's it gonna cost me?

- good front cooler, braided lines, thermostat and all?

i have the sandwich adapter for the oil-filter pickup ...
how much scrilla?
idea.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I just dont see a need to vent any of "our" cars through the hood. The inlet requirements and outlet requirements are VERY small. You dont need a big HONKIN hole in the hood.

B
Brad Roberts
Figure 1700$ to be safe. That should be everything including a GT shroud/fittings/-12 braided line.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(retrotech @ Oct 8 2004, 09:47 PM)

Which model do you suggest?

I use the DB-30416-12 (the -12 is AN IIRC)....bout 300 bucks, but that was a couple-3 years ago.

Venting? None of the above...kinda.....hay, it works.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2004, 11:02 PM)
Figure 1700$ to be safe. That should be everything including a GT shroud/fittings/-12 braided line.

hmmm, that's not too bad ...

if i use the pass. long for the lines, i'll still have heat on the drivers side.
plus, i'm going to cut up a perfectly fine hood (of course!), no need for a GT shroud.

alright, can you order the parts on monday?
cooler, good thermostat, ~12 braided lines + fittings.
anything else?

boldblue.gif Andy
retrotech
Here is a picture of a 914 I had with hood vent. I never noticed heat. I assumed through the hood would detach air flow, retarding lift, creating down force?

Retro
Brad Roberts
The nose naturally creates downforce with any kind of splitter on a lower airdam.

I can order the parts Andy.

I suggest the way JP did it. Two vent holes above the steering rack. The air escapes out the fenderwells..

B
J P Stein
Off the top of my haid.
Cooler 300-Fluidyne
thermo 210-Troutman....I paid less but you won't
lines & fittings 285ish.......there was some dickin' around involved here gettin' the right fittings. I have 8 feet of -12 & 2-3 straight fittings left over if anyone wants for cheep.
retrotech
I thought I remembered reading some where that the exit was to 2 - 3x larger than entry?
Not so?
J P Stein
It's amazing how much bullsh....ah....info we can generate in a short period of time, eh? laugh.gif

Brad: 3 holes, damnit....wouldn't wanna short the venting biggrin.gif

Summit Racin' for lines & fittings.
Brad Roberts
Somewhere in this world there is a formula for calculating the exit needed for a given entrance. Obviously the air expands as it exits the cooler...so yes the exit should be larger, but how much is the question. 2-3 times is a little much.

B
J P Stein
Yeah, I heared that also.....but....
A nice high pressure intake + low pressure outlet(WAG). I was prepared to cut more holes as necessary...it wern't. 100C is the peak oil temp I have seen. 90C at a track day. confused24.gif

You've seen me flog the car......20 AX passes in about 2 hours that day....and it was 80ish.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2004, 11:21 PM)
Somewhere in this world there is a formula for calculating the exit needed for a given entrance.

here you go, from my favorite science website ...

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Th...oefficient.html

cool.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I agree. Stick with small openings and small exits. Right this minute I have HALF our Fluidyne cooler blocked off to get the car to up to temp during a 20 minute race (8500RPM injected 3.2) NO engine mounted oil cooler.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2004, 11:30 PM)
Right this minute I have HALF our Fluidyne cooler blocked off to get the car to up to temp during a 20 minute race (8500RPM injected 3.2) NO engine mounted oil cooler.

couldn't you run a thermostat near the engine? confused24.gif
J P Stein
Anyone familiar with the P-51.....besides Andy's granpa biggrin.gif

The vent for the radiator was about the same size as the inlet.
I read that it supplied jet thrust to the airframe.....a design featurette. Them's were some fart smellers.....smart fellers....whatever. If true, it has no application in this discussion......humph.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.