Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: under car air deflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Just figured out that later model 914's used a "air deflector" to increase cooling under the engine. My 72 lacks this, but I understand they can be added with some drilling.

Anyone else done this upgrade? Do they work? What do these things look like, anyone with a pic?
nebreitling
sorry, no pic, but i've only heard that they are a GOOD thing in terms of cooling; i.e. you want them.

should be easy to make.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Oct 8 2004, 09:40 PM)
Anyone else done this upgrade? Do they work? What do these things look like, anyone with a pic?

i haven't installed them yet, but my '70 is going to get them as well.
the haynes book has the measurements for the exact placement, which is apperently important!

wink.gif Andy
jr91472
Damn, hate asking questions to only find out that the answer is in Hayes chairfall.gif

Thanks Andy, did you fabricate them? If not, know where to get them?

thx
JR
Martin Baker
I'll have a set at the swap tomorrow. I think I have two sets to be honest. Here is what it looks like, works as a spoiler under the car, helping draw cooling air through the engine. Not unlike the spoilers on a jets wing. Plastic with nut plates molded in...same left to right. Not rocket science here.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Oct 9 2004, 11:19 AM)
Thanks Andy, did you fabricate them? If not, know where to get them?

bought them off a wrecked car, from EASY ...

$5 or so,
smile.gif Andy
Bleyseng
They are really important when going down the straight at 150mph otherwise you will lift off.

Geoff wacko.gif
Andyrew
I left em on for my car... Decided that a little air flow in the engine bay is a good idea....

Andrew
tracks914
I bought a set off Ebay and haven't installed them yet. huh.gif
I do plan to someday soon.
DNHunt
One more use for them

Next time some 911 or Boxster puke says it's a NARP you can tell him Porsche tested ground effects on the 914. clap56.gif

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.