Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I got these new to replace the one that was missing and the other one that looks older than me. Trouble is, how do you get them in? I tried grease, WD 40 and heating them up to soften them with no luck. Anyone out there with any other suggestions?
skline
Also, once I get them into the dog bone holders, is there a trick to getting them back on the bolts at the base of the shocks?? What a pain these are. I am hoping they are worth it.
Bleyseng
I used a large C clamp to force them into the dog bones and then used a large pry bar to attach them to the shock bolt. They snap in when you force them biggrin.gif

Rear bar is undone now thou....
Geoff
bob174
Big Pain in the Ass! Went through this summer before last. I ended up pressing them into the dog bones using a vise.
seanery
Scott,
I just did these myself.

I put the drop link in the vise and push the cup in as far as I can, then using a largish regular screw driver I push the part that I couldn't get in by hand until it goes in the link. (don't do this by hand or you (like me) may end up with a large screwdriver sized hole in your hand. headbang.gif
Then I take it out of the vise and tap it in with my plastic hammer.

I haven't been able to figure out how to them on the shockmount yet. Tried a BFH and lotsa arm power and couldn't get it.
Cap'n Krusty
I use a really big pair of channel lock pliers to squeeze them onto the ball ends. The Cap'n
JoeSharpOld
Scott: I have 2 dog bones with new bushing in them. I'll trade you them for yours and the tin you said you might have. I'm going to the chicken coupe for lunch I'll stop by after that.
Joe
Series9
C clamps. They are a bitch. smash.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 9 2004, 03:36 PM)
I use a really big pair of channel lock pliers to squeeze them onto the ball ends. The Cap'n

Yep worked for me.

Soak em in hot water and use a vice to put them into the dog bone. It is a huge PITA.
Bruce Allert
Put the dog bone on the bolt with a vise then install into the shock. Using a hair dryer on the remaining part along with channel locks and a wee bit of grease works quite easy.

......b
skline
I want to extend a huge Thank you to Joe Sharp, he dropped off the dog bones with the bushings already installed, now I just need to try to press them on the sway bar and the shock bolt. I am sure I will get it sometime tonight. Thanks again Joe.
BMartin914
Just did these last week.

I put the drop link in the vise and push the cup in as far as I can, then using a largish regular screw driver I push the part that I couldn't get in by hand until it goes in the link.

agree.gif

Once you have the bushings in the link, we just used a really big C clamp and two hands to keep the dogbones straight while we pressed them on. Surprisingly easy, took about ten minutes with the right tools.
monkeywrench
Using a C-clamp or a furnature clamp works really well for me. Just apply the pressure slowly.
type47fan
agree.gif

Steady, even, patient pressure. If you have the car elevated, take off the road wheel and support the trailing arm to align the sway bar and shock mount to a neutral position. Then, ten minutes, tops.

Wayne (type47fan)
SLITS
Vise, grease and socket to put them into the links

Big pair of channel locks to snap them onto the ball ends

No problem man!
Joe Ricard
Vise to put them in the "dog bone"
2lb hammer to whack it on the shock bolt ball end. (one whack all done) Oh and levae them on the drive way for an hour in the Mississippi sun. Nice and soft.

Of course you are a sweaty mess any way you cut it.

I used to do the lay it in the sun trick for Nylon U-cup seals for hydraulic seals. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.