Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Medford
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Running up to Medford later this week for their two day event. Practice is on Saturday and the event on Sunday. smile.gif

If anyone is around the Medford area and wants to see some nice equipment stop by the Medford Sports Park complex.

I'll post pictures during / after the event.
Britain Smith
Randal...you should just keep driving North and run Packwood this weekend.

http://www.where2race.com/venues/view/pack...ton-lumber-mill

-Britain

grantsfo
Should be beautiful up there! Have a good time! Hey if any of the guys going to Hoopa are around can you get latest scoop. I havent heard anything yet.

Im getting back meaner lighter Z today. We broke 3000 lb mark today and I have closer to 50/50 weight distribution which should work well at Hoopa. Its easily a sub 2:20 car now so I will be chasing the big boys. I will run that OSP class on Hoosier A6's.

Good luck!
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 18 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Should be beautiful up there! Have a good time! Hey if any of the guys going to Hoopa are around can you get latest scoop. I havent heard anything yet.

Im getting back meaner lighter Z today. We broke 3000 lb mark today and I have closer to 50/50 weight distribution which should work well at Hoopa. Its easily a sub 2:20 car now so I will be chasing the big boys. I will run that OSP class on Hoosier A6's.

Good luck!

Yup weather is perfect today and is going to be nice tomorrow and Sunday as well.

I'll see what the low down on Hoopa is tomorrow when I connect with the hill climb boys and girls. One of the folks that runs NHA I think will be attending.

Sure wish we could get Britain to come to Hoopa or Cascade. It would be fun to see the yellow machine run up a hill.

Glad to hear the progress on your car. At 3000#, with the new found power you'll be having loads of fun. smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ May 18 2012, 05:25 PM) *

Good luck!

Yup weather is perfect today and is going to be nice tomorrow and Sunday as well.

I'll see what the low down on Hoopa is tomorrow when I connect with the hill climb boys and girls. One of the folks that runs NHA I think will be attending.

Sure wish we could get Britain to come to Hoopa or Cascade. It would be fun to see the yellow machine run up a hill.

Glad to hear the progress on your car. At 3000#, with the new found power you'll be having loads of fun. smile.gif

Here is where I had lunch today! Wow, what a piece of art.

http://www.blastolene.com/Work_in_Progress/deco.htm

Randy Grubb, who built the beautiful Retro SUV, and his Dad were sharing a Lotus clone they built and it will be tough to beat. Very very fast and handling to boot.

Had a blast running the enduro track on the practice day today.

With old tires was doing some high 45 second laps. I was totally out of breath after running 3 laps (lots of work) but have to remember to breath tomorrow. happy11.gif

I've got a video, but will have to post it tomorrow as I'm off to a Cabaret in Ashland with my big Sis.

Amazing how many serious autoxers are up in Medford. Nice people.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ May 19 2012, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 18 2012, 05:25 PM) *

Good luck!

Here is where I had lunch today! Wow, what a piece of art.

http://www.blastolene.com/Work_in_Progress/deco.htm

Randy Grubb, who built the beautiful Retro SUV, and his Dad were sharing a Lotus clone they built and it will be tough to beat. Very very fast and handling to boot.

Had a blast running the enduro track on the practice day today.

With old tires was doing some high 45 second laps. I was totally out of breath after running 3 laps (lots of work) but have to remember to breath tomorrow. happy11.gif

I've got a video, but will have to post it tomorrow as I'm off to a Cabaret in Ashland with my big Sis.

Amazing how many serious autoxers are up in Medford. Nice people.

My son Loren was at Laguna Seca today and sent me a video of an F1 (I think) car running. Wow. They went through turn 1 and were still shifting and didn't brake until we would be turning into 2. Crazy fast.

Anyway, had a great day at the Medford Sports Complex. They put just about every turn into the course, so was tough to get right in 4 runs, but ended up in the top 5. Randy Grubb ended up taking the event with a well driven high 59 second run. I ran a 1:01 flat.

Oh, Randy let me drive his Lotus in fun runs.

Perfect day in Medford, but then any day you get to race at a cool facility always is... flag.gif

A video of one of the practice sessions is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eteXTmtBHEo...ure=context-gau

That track is so much fun!
Trekkor
I liked the video.
Car sounds great, Randal!

Nice layout.

KT
Randal
Here are a few shots from Medford:

Randy Grubb, brought his Decoliner and he and his Dad raced his (Dad's) Lotus 7 clone (Birkin). Actually Randy took TTOD on Sunday. Really nice guy as well, even though he got me by a second. sad.gif

The Decoliner is just a piece of art.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This guy got me by .800 in his Supercharged Buick V-6 Lotus. Very fast.

Click to view attachment
Randal
More:

Inside the Decoliner

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The back stairs

Click to view attachment

grantsfo
Cool pics Randal! Whats the story with that Motorcycle? That Randy guy has some fabrication skills!

I havent been impressed with high powered v6 and v8 lotus 7's. They dont seem to handle well at all. I always expect them to be rip roaring fast time wise. Perhaps they are better hillclimb missles but every one I have run against in AX disapoints. Almost seems like they would be better with lightweight turbo rotory motor than a big V6 or v8 lug that can set underweight tires on fire with too much ease. Perhaps too much power and torque for lightwaight car to put power down? Convential wisdom would have these cars being seconds faster than typical production car. I know my car has more weight and probably less lowend than those Lotus 7 based cars and I struggle getting power to the ground. Those things must be a handful!
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 29 2012, 12:44 PM) *

Cool pics Randal! Whats the story with that Motorcycle? That Randy guy has some fabrication skills!

I havent been impressed with high powered v6 and v8 lotus 7's. They dont seem to handle well at all. I always expect them to be rip roaring fast time wise. Perhaps they are better hillclimb missles but every one I have run against in AX disapoints. Almost seems like they would be better with lightweight turbo rotory motor than a big V6 or v8 lug that can set underweight tires on fire with too much ease. Perhaps too much power and torque for lightwaight car to put power down? Convential wisdom would have these cars being seconds faster than typical production car. I know my car has more weight and probably less lowend than those Lotus 7 based cars and I struggle getting power to the ground. Those things must be a handful!

The motorcycle is another fantastic creation of Randy Grubb. So cool looking. Only issue with driving it is a very limited area for putting a foot down. Also think wind will be felt as you move along.

Dr. Grubb's Lotus 7 is a beautiful machine. It has a 2.0 liter Honda motor and it easily gets the power down to the road. I wasn't about the thrash it, but the driving experience was completely different than my Elan. It would take some time to get used to driving it as it feels like a momentum car to me. Although Randy certainly didn't have any issues as he got TTOD, a second ahead of me. Actually Randy's a very smooth driver who just gets faster each run. flag.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ May 29 2012, 01:38 PM) *

The motorcycle is another fantastic creation of Randy Grubb. So cool looking. Only issue with driving it is a very limited area for putting a foot down. Also think wind will be felt as you move along.

Dr. Grubb's Lotus 7 is a beautiful machine. It has a 2.0 liter Honda motor and it easily gets the power down to the road. I wasn't about the thrash it, but the driving experience was completely different than my Elan. It would take some time to get used to driving it as it feels like a momentum car to me. Although Randy certainly didn't have any issues as he got TTOD, a second ahead of me. Actually Randy's a very smooth driver who just gets faster each run. flag.gif

So he beat the v6 car. Makes sense.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 29 2012, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 29 2012, 01:38 PM) *

So he beat the v6 car. Makes sense.

Randy was 59.904, so got the other Lotus (100.2.1) by .310. Then the AM car (1:00.332), Dave Kittterman (1:00.445) then "222" at 101.058.

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ May 25 2012, 12:36 PM) *

Here are a few shots from Medford:

Randy Grubb, brought his Decoliner and he and his Dad raced his (Dad's) Lotus 7 clone (Birkin). Actually Randy took TTOD on Sunday. Really nice guy as well, even though he got me by a second. sad.gif

This guy got me by .800 in his Supercharged Buick V-6 Lotus. Very fast.

Click to view attachment

Hey that black v6 lotus showed up to AAS event this weekend! 3000 lb Shamu showed him some tail. Lol!
Randal
Nice going.

J P Stein
Randal:
I wouldn't run those A15 Avons in the enduro (5 laps) part of the AX.
One 45 sec. lap will overheat them or , at the very least, heat them to the point where the'll give up soon. A fella up this way(DP Miata)over heats them even with cool downs between AX passes (50 sec+).

The are ready to go right off the trailer.
J P Stein
Randal:
One 45 sec. lap will overheat them or , at the very least, heat them to the point where the'll give up soon. A fella up this way(DP Miata)over heats them even with cool downs between AX passes (50 sec+).

Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 3 2012, 07:52 AM) *

Randal:

Thanks JP.

Been thinking 5 laps, i.e., 60 corners would be a bit much for the A15's.

I know the A11 compound would be perfect, but got the A15's primarily for the Marina where we typically have Alaska weather.

Curious about how heavy is the DP Miata is and how wide of AVon's (A15) he's running?
J P Stein
The DP car is around 1900 lbs and has tires about like yours.....tho I dunno the exact size. He took 3rd at the Nats this year with no co-driver. The top 4 in DP would have been the top 4 in FP.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 3 2012, 07:52 AM) *

Randal:

I agree with JP. You will have a tough time with them if you do 5 laps in a row. They are perfect cold Marina tire or damp surface tire. Good for single drivers as the tires dont need heat to stick. But even we had tough time with them at end of 60 second runs at National Tour in San Diego in cloudy 70 degree weather. They were great first half and by last few corners they were a handful. They are a very specialized tire that should be part of your aresonal. Goody Year r250 or Hoosier 25 b arre better warm day or long course tires. However I think they will still be better than crappy Cantis even when they are over heating. You want to keep Avons in 105 to 115 range . Over 125 and they start to get greazy.

Bring a big spray bottle if you use the Avons!
Randal
Britain kicked butt taking TTOD at the Medford Enduro. Nice going Britain.

His last two laps were low 43's... very fast.

After listening to Britain and Dave I decided to try a new single apex line on a difficult turn and ended up spinning. When you spin at Medford and your day is done. Should have stuck with what I know works.

Anyway, nice going Britain. Your car on the straights is just crazy fast and also on the corners.

Those 11" Goodyear 250's stick as well.
Britain Smith
Thanks Randal...it was good seeing you again. Here is a video of my run, I was being a little conservative in places to ensure I kept it clean...but fun none the less. Can't wait to give it another go with improved aero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy2kCsOYFyc&hd=1

-Britain
grantsfo
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Oct 8 2012, 11:53 AM) *

Thanks Randal...it was good seeing you again. Here is a video of my run, I was being a little conservative in places to ensure I kept it clean...but fun none the less. Can't wait to give it another go with improved aero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy2kCsOYFyc&hd=1

-Britain

Nice run just got to watch full run today. After first lap your car was definitely moving!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.