Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help identifying this dome light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlkawashima
I have these two dome lights in my stash of stuff. The one on the left doesn't have a Hella logo on it. Instead, it has this "S" that looks a little like the old Schilling Spice logo. In the middle, instead of saying Made in Germany, it says Made in Yugoslavia. It looks to be a direct replacement for a Hella light, but I think this came off a bug.

Any help identifying the manufacturer and approximately when it was made would be greatly appreciated.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Skoda ?
Valy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 16 2012, 08:02 AM) *

Skoda ?

No, Skoda always had a hand like logo.
Niklas
Volkswagen had a factory in Yugoslavia.

Niklas
dlkawashima
Well after two years of wondering, I have finally learned the name of the manufacturer of the dome light with the "S" logo.

Ready? It's ..... SATURNUS

Who? Today Saturnus is a subsidiary of Hella, ironically enough. But back in the day they were an OE manufacturer, headquartered in Yugoslavia, supplying various lighting products to VW
... which explains why the Saturnus dome light, quality wise, is the equal of the Hella.

Was the Saturnus dome light ever installed by the factory into a 914? I don't know but I have my doubts. As I understand it, other than Hella the only other brand installed at the factory was possibly Sidler and only the first year.

Click to view attachment

Here's an old parts catalog listing for the dome light in question.
Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
To be complete, I'm adding a picture of a Sidler dome light. It's hard to see but the Sidler logo is in the middle of the lens.
Obviously this one is all busted up but it's the only picture I have of a Sidler.
Note that this dome light does not have the VW logo on the lens like the Hella and Saturnus dome lights. Instead, it is stamped into one of the metal pieces on the back of the lens.

Click the picture to supersize it ...
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.