Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
I removed my pedal cluster to try and put some bronze bushings in (another thread). After a lot of banging and frustration I took a break from the pedal cluster and noticed a small puddle of brake fluid under the master cylinder. Does this have something to do with the arm coming out or do I have issues with the master cylinder. The brakes were pretty mushy on my couple of laps around the block. I didn't notice any leaking prior to this. Is it time for a new one?
scotty914
well look at it this way would you feel safe if some one told you they think the brakes are safe when you where driving their car. go a head and spend the 100 bucks and get a new one, and while your at it rebuild the rest of the brakes or even upgrade to something better.

i have the 320i brakes on my car and i like em but if you are going to AX it look for something vented from a 911. ( basicly from what i have heard the 320i on stock rotors can warp stock rotors under AX type braking )

just do it brakes are not like window seals they are the main safty item on the car, with out brakes even your seat belts are useless.

scott thacher
jim912928
If you were banging around on the pedal cluster...you most likely removed the bolts from the master cylinder? You might have a leak from the two supply lines from the brake resevoir.....they only push into to rubber bushings...drop the master cylinder and they can easily pop out or slip up just enough to leak.
URY914
But getting the lines back into the top of the MC is one of the toughest jobs on a 914.

Good luck smile.gif

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 9 2004, 08:08 PM)
But getting the lines back into the top of the MC is one of the toughest jobs on a 914.

it doesn't have to be, once you learn the secret...

disconnect the lines from the reservoir and assemble the grommets into the MC on the bench. you'll have enough leverage pushing down from the top, and you can see what you're doing. then re-install, threading the supply lines back up to the reservoir.

cake.
URY914
Yep, I did that the last time I used the stock reservior.

agree.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 9 2004, 07:38 PM)
If you were banging around on the pedal cluster...you most likely removed the bolts from the master cylinder? You might have a leak from the two supply lines from the brake resevoir.....they only push into to rubber bushings...drop the master cylinder and they can easily pop out or slip up just enough to leak.

This is exactly what happened. I didn't realize that they just pushed in. After reading some old posts I figured it out. I am planning on going through the whole brake system, don't think I am going to upgrad just yet, at this point the car will just be a weekend toy. But I do want it to be safe.

I think I will get a new master cylinder, where can I get one fo $100 so far cheapest I can find is $165.

Oh I also read in an old post about the resevoir lines, definitely going to do it that way.

sr
jim912928
Call Dave at GPR (German Parts and Restoration).... go to www.gprparts.com for the number. Also try Pelican Parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.