Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: runoffs pictures FP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Just found some '04 runoff pictures and saw an FP with twin coolers at the rear. Now I don't feel so dumb about where I put them, I've been having some serious second thoughts about it.

And yes, I didn't hide my plate, I'm living dangerously.
seanery
damn, they're low on the 78 car!

any worry of damage from the bottom?
URY914
Dave, that last shot is like looking up a skirt.

ohmy.gif
JoeSharpOld
agree.gif Gave me wood. biggrin.gif
Joe
echocanyons
Any thoughts of using a heavy guage skid plate on yours?

I agree the blue cars oil coolers look really low
machina
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 10 2004, 12:55 PM)
Any thoughts of using a heavy guage skid plate on yours

If I did go off, I would rather have the cooler mount fail then rip the tub apart. That's one good thing about the small gauge bracket material.

I am concerned about hitting them or even damage from kicked up debris from the tires, etc. We'll see how it works out.
groot
Put up a rock screen, that should help.
machina
QUOTE(groot @ Oct 11 2004, 07:52 AM)
Put up a rock screen, that should help.

yup, done...
groot
BTW... Nice fabrication.

How did you size your coolers? What made you decide on 2?
machina
QUOTE(groot @ Oct 11 2004, 10:08 AM)
How did you size your coolers? What made you decide on 2?

thanks,

After I decided on the location, I knew I had to split the coolers to make room for the exhaust , tranny, etc.

I had an idea that they shouldn't hang any lower than the stock valence (which I don't run anyway). Width wise, there was the limitation between not getting behind the rear tires and not getting too close to the exhaust.

I looked at doing heat load calculations etc but without real data on air flow capacity, etc. I thought it was just too academic. So if I have too much cooling (duct tape) if too little cooling, I'll fab some ducting to get the most cool air and the least hot air from the exhaust, motor,...
groot
Cool.

I feel like I have an appropriately sized single cooler, based on expected heat load, but as a spectator at the Runoffs, I saw a water cooled 1.3L Alfa with 2 coolers, each bigger than my one. He also ran -12 lines. Huge overkill in my mind, but I haven't built any production cars until this one. I can add a second cooler pretty easily, so it's not that big of a deal.

-12 lines crack me up, too, considering the size of the oil passages in the engine.......

Not knowing the detail of your coolers, I'd estimate that we ended up with approximately the same amount of heat rejection capacity.
Jake Raby
Dave,
I would fab up some rock guards for those coolers made from mesh. If a rock shoots off of a slick it could easily give you a catastrophic oil leak.
machina
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 11 2004, 11:11 AM)
I would fab up some rock guards for those coolers made from mesh. If a rock shoots off of a slick it could easily give you a catastrophic oil leak.

there are already mounting points on the brackets for the mesh.

I have some really heavy stainless steel mesh that is going in front of the coolers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.