Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opening the Rear Trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ohh_jo
How do you get into the rear trunk? My dad just bought a 1975 and we can't figure out if something is broken or we aren't doing it right. Can anyone help?
PanelBilly
Do you have a button with a lock in the back of the car or a red reflector that says Porsche?
ohh_jo
Its a long red reflector that says porsche
PanelBilly
There should be a wire comming out of the trunk passing through the engine bay toward the interior. Look for a non stock wire running by itself. It should lead to the cabin somewhere where there's a push buttom switch (look under the dash on the drivers side). If pushing the button doesn't work then have someone push down on the center of the trunk at the back edge taking the load off of the spring while you push the button. You may need to make sure voltage is running to the wire.
If that doesn't work put the car on jackstands and start taking it totally apart. The car needs to be stripped of everything that can come off and a full restoration must be done requiring you to spend all of your credit and your child's college fund.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 16 2012, 06:48 PM) *

There should be a wire comming out of the trunk passing through the engine bay toward the interior. Look for a non stock wire running by itself. It should lead to the cabin somewhere where there's a push buttom switch (look under the dash on the drivers side). If pushing the button doesn't work then have someone push down on the center of the trunk at the back edge taking the load off of the spring while you push the button. You may need to make sure voltage is running to the wire.
If that doesn't work put the car on jackstands and start taking it totally apart. The car needs to be stripped of everything that can come off and a full restoration must be done requiring you to spend all of your credit and your child's college fund.

lol-2.gif agree.gif
76-914
Yea, what he said. Usually close to fuse panel and mine needs the key in the on position to power the switch.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 16 2012, 08:23 PM) *

Yea, what he said. Usually close to fuse panel and mine needs the key in the on position to power the switch.

you may (and i could be wrong)also need a working battery in the car as well.

good luck to you sir!!

beerchug.gif
struckn
Mine has the Button under the back Bumper near the Tag and I have to push down on the lid while pressing it to get the rear lid to release.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(struckn @ May 16 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Mine has the Button under the back Bumper near the Tag and I have to push down on the lid while pressing it to get the rear lid to release.

Or... mine has a reflector, but a manual lever/cable release located in the engine compartment biggrin.gif
PThompson509
Mine has a pull knob just next to the driver's seat. Imagine you are sitting down in the seat, the knob will be on your left, near your butt. Nothing electric to it - just mechanical.

Good luck, and don't forget to raid your kid's college fund for the paint job and new engine. smile.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(PThompson509 @ May 17 2012, 02:33 PM) *

Mine has a pull knob just next to the driver's seat. Imagine you are sitting down in the seat, the knob will be on your left, near your butt. Nothing electric to it - just mechanical.

Good luck, and don't forget to raid your kid's college fund for the paint job and new engine. smile.gif

That pull knob near your butt only opens the engine cover, not the rear "rust storage area!" dry.gif
Pat Garvey
Um, at the risk of being considered a "weenie" (which I am), that device should not be there. Porsche never offered it as an option. Same as the front Porsche crest. Sorry folks, they're both bogus!

Take it off, put the factory lock back on, fill in the holes, repaint. The car says "PORSCHE" on the engine lid - how much do you need to broadcast?

Remember, the Dino had no Ferrari markings, yet it brings good bucks at auction. Everyone knows it's a Ferrari design.

Let's rid the 914's of the world of this Performance Products POS "bling" article.

Wow, it's been 4 weeks since I had a rant!

Bring it on!
Pat
Vysoc
Pat,

Love the work you do. But.

I have always wanted to say this to Members of the Club I work at everyday during the Winter. "Did that make you feel better"?
And if so great.......... he has a trunk with an after market solenoid device.

Help him and let's all move on!

Sorry the season in Florida of taking care of mean old people causes sudden bursts of anger.

May is here, you have to be from Florida.

Vysoc....Sorry flag.gif
partwerks
I had accidentally broke a wire off the solenoid and was lucky in the sense that the lid was not all that tight in closing and I just used a 3/8" rod on the back passenger side corner of the trunk and squeaked in and pushed the mechanism down to release it.

I also made a mechanical one with a stainless steel wire from a fishing line that can trip it, if the solenoid acts up again. It exits just above the license plate.
RickS
Mine has a red push button mounted on the fuse block
jimsfolly
QUOTE(ohh_jo @ May 16 2012, 06:20 PM) *

How do you get into the rear trunk? My dad just bought a 1975 and we can't figure out if something is broken or we aren't doing it right. Can anyone help?

this is what worked for me:

after finding the little button, and pushing it fails to pop the lock, the next step is to open the engine cover and find the 4 bolts securing the trunk lid to the hinges.... you're going to have to remove the nearest bolts and loosen the farthest, most of the way out, then you can raise up the edge of the lid a couple of inches, use a 2x4 block to support it. then go to harbor freight and buy enough sets of 1/2" socket extensions to reach the far edge of the lid and tape them together, since you now need to remove the latching plate from the inside of the trunk... be sure to tape them together or you'll be going back to HF to get a magnet on a stick to retrieve them... get a flashlight and you can see the bolt heads, probably 13mm, don't remember, might be 12mm. with a bit of luck you'll be able to get the bolts out... once it's released, be sure to bolt the hinges back on before opening... good luck...
euro911
Mine has a small round chrome button with a key slot that's mounted halfway between the tail lights. It's never failed me laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Now, if I could just find the time to install those nifty hydraulic struts to keep the lid open, I could dispose of that old broom stick idea.gif
Jeffs9146
this is what worked for me:

after finding the little button, and pushing it fails to pop the lock, the next step is to open the engine cover and find the 4 bolts securing the trunk lid to the hinges.... you're going to have to remove the nearest bolts and loosen the farthest, most of the way out, then you can raise up the edge of the lid a couple of inches, use a 2x4 block to support it. then go to harbor freight and buy enough sets of 1/2" socket extensions to reach the far edge of the lid and tape them together, since you now need to remove the latching plate from the inside of the trunk... be sure to tape them together or you'll be going back to HF to get a magnet on a stick to retrieve them... get a flashlight and you can see the bolt heads, probably 13mm, don't remember, might be 12mm. with a bit of luck you'll be able to get the bolts out... once it's released, be sure to bolt the hinges back on before opening... good luck...

10mm bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! blink.gif lol-2.gif
treacle
QUOTE(ohh_jo @ May 16 2012, 06:28 PM) *

Its a long red reflector that says porsche

The long red reflector sometimes has a tiny 1/8" hole near the center.

If it does, then get an old-style sturdy wire coat-hanger, and cut off a straight section of the coat-hanger about 10" - 12" long. Insert that into the hole in the reflector until you feel resistance. That resistance is the lock-lever inside the trunk, which is about 3" - 4" inside the hole. Use the sturdy wire to push in firmly on the locking lever. Be patient. It will probably take a few tries because this is your first time doing this. With practice, you will be able to do it very quickly.

When the lock-lever releases, the trunk will pop open an inch or so, because there's a spring attached inside on the trunk lever.

Forget all the advice above about buttons. That doesn't apply to you.

_
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.