Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixing dented chrome bumpers, can these be saved??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
My car is a '74 with the bumper "tits".....at one time or another, a PO has gotten hit or bumped into something pushing the bumperetts into the bumper which caused damage to the bumper (front and rear)

are these pretty much toast? It seems like it would be darn near impossible to pound them and have them look decent at the same time???
Andyrew
Are these the one's your going to cut for the opening? If so, I think you can pound em out... Its pretty strong metal mind you though... A hammer and dolly should work, I did it to one of mine, but it was on a reinforced area and it was very difficult, only helped a little.

You want to keep the chrome dont you.... I doubt you want it looking that rough anyways, I say try your best, if the chrome chips or its really wavy, then (you have a sandblaster right?) sand blast it or sand it down, bondo, and paint it....

Andrew
GWN7
To get them straight, it looks like you would need to heat them and use a press. The bends look to severe to just press them straight. The heat might discolour them and you would have to have them rechromed. You might have to heat shrink them also to get them straight.
Bleyseng
For something like that use a flat piece of wood (Bush has some) and cover it leather or padding. I like to use a soft hammer, plastic, hard rubber etc what ever it takes. GO SLOW and hit it carefully planning where you need to strike it next in a pattern to slowly reverse the dent.

Use can get those to look ok, not perfect. The bumper metal is pretty malable.

Geoff wink.gif
Joe Bob
$150 worth of body hammers and dollies will get it flush. With your record of blown tires you will use them again.... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.