Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stripped lug bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
After removing my wheels several times because of various work. a couple of them no longer get tight. It apears they are not only stripping the bolt...but also inside the rotor (or wherever it is) too. Maybe I am taking the tire off wrong?? These bolts are a pain...

What do I need to do? Please don't tell me buy new rotors! Is it safe to heli coil these? Can I just buy some longer lug bolts?
SLITS
No heli-coil, buy new ones or stud them.
Cap'n Krusty
Helicoils work just fine. In fact, done right, they're better than the original cast iron you're dealing with. Might wanna get some new lug bolts as well ............... The Cap'n
Series9
Please, don't even THINK about putting heli-coils in your hubs! If you stripped 'em, replace 'em.

Joe
Joe Bob
Hubs...replace....rotors....helicoils oor replace....both are cheap, the rears will need a new bearing and are labor intensive......
seanery
I have a set of rear hubs for sale.
86motoman
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 10 2004, 12:42 PM)
Hubs...replace....rotors....helicoils oor replace....both are cheap, the rears will need a new bearing and are labor intensive......

Am I understanding right that if I replace a rear hub I have to replace the bearing as well?

I don't have a lot of time. I am going to school fulltime, working part time and trying to fix my 914 the rest of the time. wink.gif

I am leaning toward the heli coils. I know some don't like that idea...but I only need one lug done on two different wheels.

How hard and expensive is it to put in studs??
SGB
Doesn't sound like yer doin alot of auto-crossing or other antics, which might be the concern for some folks here (I'm guessing...), but it is obvious that if you don't do the heli-coils your car will be parked for longer than it should be. What works best is what works under the circumstances. Go the cheap route. Get back on the road while you can!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.