Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classic Insurance on a DD with limited useage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Just picked up a new DD to replace my Honda. 92 VR6 Corrado. USAA doesn't do stated value. My 914 is with Grundy. Toying around with the idea of putting the VW on it so I cover it's value. Pro's and cons please... anyone else doing this? Wondering how good they are if something happens. Limited driving with it, but would be more that to and from shows.

Thanks, Tod
914itis
This is how I look at it. If something happen like stolen, break
-ins, they may argue that the car was not to be left where you can't see it and denies the claim. If you put non- historical liability, these are usually not covered
Anyway and cost much more for premiums. You can't lose. Just my opinions.

Let's see what others think.
I would Also ask admin to delete this thread as they can use it against you in the future.
ConeDodger
Some definitions are in order, first of all, stated value means you say it is worth X. They base the price on your stated value and your driving record and such... Then there is agreed value in which you and the company agree your car is worth X. In the former, when you experience loss, they can argue value. In the latter, you have both agreed prior to the loss on the total value.
USAA uses American Classic and they do agreed value.

Edit: Sorry, I was posting from my cell phone in a restaurant. USAA partners with American Collectors not American Classic. You can get hold of them through USAA - they transfer you directly.
Ferg
I know with Hagerty you have to have regular insurance on each car for each driver in household for your classic policy to be covered. ie: Wife's car and my DD on regular insurance, if not they would have an excuse not to cover NO?

I also wanted to do the same with my DD 911 last year, I was thinking of double insuring (both regular and classic) it because it was so cheap to add it to the Hagerty policy, I guess that's a big no no as well.
ConeDodger
I should add, pretty much no one insures daily driver classic cars. They limit your milagros and forbid driving to work.

Edit: Damned autospell is now changing languages on me. Of course, they don't limit your miracles. They have no power to do that. Your miricles are unlimited. It's your mileage they limit...
carr914
What the others have said. You're trying to save money now, but you will costing yourself a Ton if you have a problem
tod914
Thanks guys. I probally drive less than 2,000 miles a year. Mainly to and from appointments, etc. Rob, thanks for the clarification. I'm looking to get an agreed value on the car. USAA won't do that, where classic car insurance does. My concern is in a total loss situtation. The bluebook is far below the value. Guess either way your tossing the dice. Ferg your right, you have to have a primary vehicle. I could keep the Honda for that, but it's well on it's way out. lol.
Do you guys know of a standard/non classic insurer that does agreed value? Hate to leave USAA after being with them for 25years, but that might be a better option. The insurance isn't too bad on this from USAA with full coverage.

Thanks.
rjames
I should add, pretty much no one insures daily driver classic cars. They limit your milagros and forbid driving to work.

Not true. I have classic auto insurance, and for an additional $50 a year they allow me to drive to work on occasion as a way to "exercise the car" (their words). The only stipulations are that it can't be my main commuter vehicle, and that I can't drive it to work if my main commuter vehicle is being repaired.

Scott S
QUOTE(rjames @ May 17 2012, 01:08 PM) *

Not true. I have classic auto insurance, and for an additional $50 a year they allow me to drive to work on occasion as a way to "exercise the car" (their words). The only stipulations are that it can't be my main commuter vehicle, and that I can't drive it to work if my main commuter vehicle is being repaired.

Who is your carrier?
Ferg
Maybe a formal appraisal for the Corrado?
falconfp2001
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 17 2012, 12:34 PM) *

Just picked up a new DD to replace my Honda. 92 VR6 Corrado. USAA doesn't do stated value. My 914 is with Grundy. Toying around with the idea of putting the VW on it so I cover it's value. Pro's and cons please... anyone else doing this? Wondering how good they are if something happens. Limited driving with it, but would be more that to and from shows.

Thanks, Tod

I called USAA to insure mine but I only insured for the original MSRP but it was on the phone. I also have my Super Beetle with USAA.
Tom_T
Tod,

I think you'll need to get a cheapo DD econo-box 10 years old or less & insure it as your "official" DD with USAA, then use the Corrado or anything else on limited collector car insurance for "occasional" to work use, in order to satisfy the details of the policies.

Be careful though, cuz some policies limit anything but to/from shows & classic events, while others don't. I can't recall how Hagerty's is written, but you can check around o see which ones allow some miles per year on "non-event" related driving. Also, the mileage cannot be too high per year - maybe 2500 or 5000 or so.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2012, 01:03 PM) *

"They limit your milagros"? Really? They limit "miracles"? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, might not want that ..............

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 17 2012, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2012, 01:03 PM) *

"They limit your milagros"? Really? They limit "miracles"? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, might not want that ..............

The Cap'n

Autospell. I already corrected it, but thanks for pointing it out. Where is that asshat smiley???
tod914
I got two quotes today. Hagerty and American Collectors. Both about the same. I believe they are both unlimited milage incase you wanted to do an event on the left coast in my case. But, American Collectors is much more restrictive than Hagerty. Hagerty will allow you to store a car enclosed off your residence. American Collectors will not. Appraisal sounds like a good idea Ferg. Thanks. I'll call some other companies and see what I can come up with. Maybe if I get a hold of USAAs underwriting department they can do abit more too. Thanks guys.
mepstein
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 17 2012, 09:17 PM) *

I got two quotes today. Hagerty and American Collectors. Both about the same. I believe they are both unlimited milage incase you wanted to do an event on the left coast in my case. But, American Collectors is much more restrictive than Hagerty. Hagerty will allow you to store a car enclosed off your residence. American Collectors will not. Appraisal sounds like a good idea Ferg. Thanks. I'll call some other companies and see what I can come up with. Maybe if I get a hold of USAAs underwriting department they can do abit more too. Thanks guys.

I have American Collectors. $112/year, 5K mileage, 200mile towing, 6K value, ect. My normal insurance broker obtained the policy for me. Had to assure them I keep the car in a garage on my property. Will use the same when I get my 6 on the road.
TargaToy
My agent just did up an antique car Haggerty policy for the 914 and an 85 Supra I just bought to fix up for my daughter to eventuallyl drive. In MD, if you tag the car historic (being 20+ model years old), you can forego vehicle inspection. I tagged the Supra as such to give myself time to shake it down and make repairs/upgrades over the next few months.

Anyway, I PAID for the combo policy and just found out today Haggerty's underwriters kicked the Supra back because it is not garaged. I've only got 2 bays. The 914 is one of them and, well, I have a wife.

PS, you suck! I was searching for a Corrado when the Supra fell in my lap.
ConeDodger
The idea of an appraisal is very good. Once you have the appraisal, the arguments are over. Did this with a Z that got totaled and they offered me $1500 for it. I pulled out the appraisal which had only been done 6 months earlier. All they could counter with was "well, we are going to have to have an independent appraisal done". They hired a woman from the Bay area to drive up and look at the car and she came up with a higher number by $1000 than my appraisal. I insisted that their appraisal was correct. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 17 2012, 05:59 PM) *

My agent just did up an antique car Haggerty policy for the 914 and an 85 Supra I just bought to fix up for my daughter to eventuallyl drive. In MD, if you tag the car historic (being 20+ model years old), you can forego vehicle inspection. I tagged the Supra as such to give myself time to shake it down and make repairs/upgrades over the next few months.

Anyway, I PAID for the combo policy and just found out today Haggerty's underwriters kicked the Supra back because it is not garaged. I've only got 2 bays. The 914 is one of them and, well, I have a wife.

PS, you suck! I was searching for a Corrado when the Supra fell in my lap.

See! I'm not the only one who keeps my wife in the garage! av-943.gif
tod914
Conrad, I wanted a G60 but most had well over 100k on them, and heavily modded. Been looking since the winter for one of these or a 924/924s. I lucked out with this car. The women whom I purchased it from is 83 years old. She bought it new. 42,000 miles and basically to and from the coffee shop over the years. Pampered car, but door was repaired due to a shopping cart hitting it. No biggie. No maintenance records, but the shop that worked on it over the years, said she was very dilligent on it's upkeep. Have you tried CorradoWorld or VWVortex? Lots advertised there. Some nice ones on autotrader and cars.com too. Supras are quite cool! That'll be a nice sporty car for her. I like the ones that look like the Lotus Esprit.
tod914
Rob I hope that wasn't your orange Z that happened to. That's a sweet ride.
rjames
QUOTE(Scott S @ May 17 2012, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ May 17 2012, 01:08 PM) *

Who is your carrier?

American Modern Home (through AAA).
$167 per year with an agreed upon value of $14k.

TargaToy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2012, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 17 2012, 05:59 PM) *

My agent just did up an antique car Haggerty policy for the 914 and an 85 Supra I just bought to fix up for my daughter to eventually drive. In MD, if you tag the car historic (being 20+ model years old), you can forego vehicle inspection. I tagged the Supra as such to give myself time to shake it down and make repairs/upgrades over the next few months.

See! I'm not the only one who keeps my wife in the garage! av-943.gif

Hey, I don't want it to seem like this is due to my generosity or being a "husband of the year" candidate...

It's just that the shed was already full! lol-2.gif

TargaToy
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 17 2012, 11:33 PM) *

Conrad, I wanted a G60 but most had well over 100k on them, and heavily modded. Been looking since the winter for one of these or a 924/924s. I lucked out with this car. The women whom I purchased it from is 83 years old. She bought it new. 42,000 miles and basically to and from the coffee shop over the years. Pampered car, but door was repaired due to a shopping cart hitting it. No biggie. No maintenance records, but the shop that worked on it over the years, said she was very dilligent on it's upkeep. Have you tried CorradoWorld or VWVortex? Lots advertised there. Some nice ones on autotrader and cars.com too. Supras are quite cool! That'll be a nice sporty car for her. I like the ones that look like the Lotus Esprit.

What a deal. Congrats to you! No, I hadn't tried the Vortex classifieds, although I used to be at home there--my DD used to be an '02 Jetta GLI with VR6 and 6spd and Bilstein, Eibach, and Neuspeed suspension goodies.

But I'll be on the hunt again.... My next daughter will be driving within the next 2 yrs, and I'm hoping to take these opportunities to get cars I always wanted but were unattainable back in the day biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.