Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:MAPP gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Needed some more heat out of my torch so I got a cylinder of MAPP gas and it says on the label not to use a propane torch. OK fine I go to the local hardware stores and everybody has cylinders but no torches. I did find one torch that said it worked for both but it had a trigger ignitor on it and was $34, those things always wear out. So can somebody tell me why I can't use the propane torch. Fits on the bottle fine an lights.

sr
stevend
simple answer is that the orifice is differnt
TimT
nozzles different

but you say it lights... so why not just use it?
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 10 2004, 12:17 PM)
but you say it lights... so why not just use it?

It is pressurized gas, didn't want to do anything stupid.

sr
SpecialK
I've used MAPP Gas for yeeeaaaarrs with a standard propane torch tip (hardware store type). No problems at all. Burn away! blowtorch.gif
Sammy
The MAPP gas cylinders I've seen have a warning label not to tip them over past a certain angle while lit, maybe that has something to do with it. My MAPP gas torch has a rubber hose so I can keep the cylinder upright.
Rhodes71/914
Put my propane torch on the MAPP gas cylinder and seems to work fine. I don't think it likes the cold though, it was 29 deg F and the flame was pretty week.
TimT
I don't think it likes the cold though, it was 29 deg F and the flame was pretty week

propane doesnt like cold either, In cold weather the cylinders will last less than in warmer temps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.