Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to convert to Retractable Seat Belts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I have a 71 1.7L and I want to install the retractable seat belts. Anyone know how to do this conversion? Do I have to weld in the mounts from a newer tub? can I buy the mounts? or do I just drill and use bolts and nuts?
markb
I used the rear seatbelts from a Volvo station wagon. I bolted the retractor to the lower mount beside the seat, and because the belt was extra long, was able to mount the rest normally. You should also get the female catch side latch.
JimN73
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 17 2012, 04:30 PM) *

I have a 71 1.7L and I want to install the retractable seat belts. Anyone know how to do this conversion? Do I have to weld in the mounts from a newer tub? can I buy the mounts? or do I just drill and use bolts and nuts?

Not that easy. The newer firewall has recesses for the reels that the belt rolls into. The backpad won't fit if you don't reform the firewall.

If you can get the recessed pieces from a car that's being recycled, you can weld them into the older firewall.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(markb @ May 17 2012, 04:53 PM) *

I used the rear seatbelts from a Volvo station wagon. I bolted the retractor to the lower mount beside the seat, and because the belt was extra long, was able to mount the rest normally. You should also get the female catch side latch.

What year Volvo?
markb
Sorry, I don't remember, and the car is long gone to a new owner. IIRC, it was mid 80's.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(markb @ May 17 2012, 06:29 PM) *

Sorry, I don't remember, and the car is long gone to a new owner. IIRC, it was mid 80's.

BAck seat or front seat or does it matter?
markb
Station wagon, back seat. They're longer.
RickS
I have a '71 and faced the same issue. No space for the reel behind the seat - since I need it full back so I turned the whole thing upside down. The real is mounted on the top part of targa bar, unfortunately near your head, cut off and eliminated the little coat hanger thing which normally goes by your head, and mounted the end with the bolt to the regular floor mount. It retracts and extends like a normal retractable belt if you can get past the retractor on the B pillar. Let me know if the wagon thing works out. Here is a link to an affordable retractable... http://www.hid-led-lights.com/hidledproduc...CFWcHRQodFGJ_zw
lrm914
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 17 2012, 07:30 PM) *

I put 924 seatbelts in my`73 914. They fit in perfect, no need to drill anything, just bolt th,m right in. They look and work great.

Larry
Cairo94507
Larry- Could you post some pictures of that set-up. Thanks.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(lrm914 @ May 18 2012, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 17 2012, 07:30 PM) *

I put 924 seatbelts in my`73 914. They fit in perfect, no need to drill anything, just bolt th,m right in. They look and work great.

Larry

73 has the retractable belt so this won't help your cause.
lrm914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 18 2012, 09:00 AM) *

Larry- Could you post some pictures of that set-up. Thanks.

My car is in Alabama at Fusion Works...I can ask Bret to take a picture of the set-up. I installed the 924 belts years ago and they work fine. My car is a 73.
Not sure if it would work on your model year, but I will try to get pics to you as soon as I can...

Larry
GeorgeRud
AA sells a retractable setup that mounts the retractor on the upper mounting point. I have them on my 914-6 and they work great without cutting anything. Of course, I kept the original ones for the future.
siverson
Hmmm... I like the manual belts.

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.