Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NADA Values on 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
HOMEAUTOS

Car PricesCompare Cars New & UsedCPO Certified CarsCredit CenterFree Dealer Price QuoteCar FinancingLocal ListingsVehicle History ReportCLASSIC CARS
Classic Car ValuesBefore Buying (First Steps)All Classic Cars - Manufacturers (A-Z)

Email addresses are used for this request only and are not saved or used by NADAguides.com for any other purposes.
Subject
Comments

Required Fields *
Privacy Policy
1973 Porsche 9142 Door Targa 2.0 Pricing Original
MSRP Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
$4,649 $13,600 $16,300 $22,200
See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE
============================================
driving-girl.gif

Pulled this on the NADA site today. Values going up.
struckn
That's interesting but money is useless until spent. I think of it this way, you can't see, touch, smell, taste, live in or drive, money collecting 1.04 percent interest in a bank savings account, verses having a 914 which will increase in value at a much higher rate.

Please disregard my comments I forgot how much time and money I'm spending on my Porsche addiction.

slap.gif
Elliot Cannon
Are those prices for stock unmodified cars?
ape914
So a nice 73 914 is worth about ten ounces of Gold ($16,000 at $1600/ounce) Back in early 1973, Gold was about $100/ ounce, so in real terms, todays car is only worth about $1000 in gold at 1973 gold prices. A new 914 back in 1973 cost $4,649 (MSRP) that would have been about 46 ounces of gold back in 1973

So a car worth 46 Ounces of gold new, is today near forty years later worth only 10 Ounces of gold.

If you go by the funny money they keep printing, the car is a great investment, but if you go by the gold standard, the car is worth about 1/5 its original value. Our inflated money tells you a lie, that the car is worth near four times what it cost when new, In reality it is only about 1/5 the worth, so the lie of funny money is off by a factor of nearly 20!

The paper money wont buy much of anything anymore.

Now if the car was gold plated, that would be different.

DBCooper
That's an extremely silly analysis. I'm sure you've looked at historical gold charts and the repeated bubbles, boom and bust, that affect gold and every other speculative commodity. We're in a speculative bubble right now, so try comparing the AVERAGE values over the period... your results will be totally different. Better yet, compare also what average salaries in that paper currency bought then and now, you'll see that things cost more, but you also MAKE more, far more.
914_teener
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 18 2012, 05:44 PM) *

That's an extremely silly analysis. I'm sure you've looked at historical gold charts and the repeated bubbles, boom and bust, that affect gold and every other speculative commodity. We're in a speculative bubble right now, so try comparing the AVERAGE values over the period... your results will be totally different. Better yet, compare also what average salaries in that paper currency bought then and now, you'll see that things cost more, but you also MAKE more, far more.

I agree.gif

Non comparative:

Here is what I think. Today I took my 73 out for a spin...yes it runs. Every time with out fail someone will walk up to me and say ".....I used to have one of those" or "hey what is that....? ( little do they know the NARP thing). Most remember one or had one at some time...especially in California.

Anyway there is a lot more interest in these little cars than years past. It is the stories about them that makes them "worth" something. Pinning a value on memories or the fun ect.....difficult to do. Today when I went to the doctor a woman in her sixties walked up to me as said hey that is a 73...I still have my 75 in Arizona. Asked about it and she is an original owner. Still has the paperwork on it. Bought it in Thousand Oaks brand new. Got her number and said if she ever wanted to part with it to give me a call.

AS for gold. If things ever get really bad it isn't gold you are going to want to have......better have pigs or chickens and a garden ......and maybe a couple of guns.

I don't think many are on this board for the money. Glad the World is back though.

My .02.

lotus_65
i just cut this out of www.excellence-mag.com fwiw.

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Again, are we talking about stock unmodified cars? What it all boils down to is the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And that gold standard post? C'mon, really? Your opinion of the value of the dollar has just about nothing to do with the vallue of these cars. I'd call that a borderline political post and probably should be taken to a different web site. happy11.gif

Cheers, Elliot
windforfun
IMHO, stock & unmodified for sure. This has to be the standard here. Mods make the whole thing completely subjective. They can make a classic car so much more difficult to sell (especially at a profit).
ape914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 18 2012, 05:44 PM) *

maybe it was silly for the original poster to claim "values are going up" he is basing this claim on historical money values, and the bubbles that occur as supply of money changes. Fact is we may even be in a classic car bubble now, if the ecomony tanks more, less folks will want to part with limited resources to buy an old two seater that gets poor mileage and is a big smog producer.
Heck maybe there will be a time in the future when gasoline is so different it cant be used in a 914, or the price of gas gets so high (relitive to other prices) that the 914 becomes to expensive to drive (well will all be driving diesel hydrid cars that get 200 mpg 20 years from now?)

I have seen the prices of muscle cars, big American cars drop during the 1973 oil embargo, folks back then couldn't get rid of their Big gas guzzler cars fast enough. that bubble of Big American V-8s from that era burst, and took a long time to recover after we had to wait for gas prices to drop (relative to other prices).

then again we could discover a new source of oil and gas prices could drop.

there is legislation pending to effectivly ban, fine or restrict old cars on the roads in some areas, presumably for pollution / global warming control. if this were to happen on large scale, the 914 bubble could burst.

the gold run up since 1973 has been pretty much been up up and more up. are we in a speculative bubble? maybe, but gold is what it is selling for today.

To claim the 914's value is going up and basing that only on the dollar value has no more certainity in truth than basing the value on gold, housing, price of milk, or percent of average salary

We have seem inflation many times since 1973, the loss of value of the dollar. the high (relative) price of 914's today is in large part I believe due to the loss of value of the dollar.

just saying that so folks dont get to excited about the current 914 "bubble". demands change all the time, and so does the value of money, gold, and every thing else.

i only cite the gold value example as a intersting perspective to the value of the 914 in comparrison to the dollar. now maybe someone will care to value a 914 aginst a half gallon of milk then and now?

golly it sure is silly to think that old 914's are really worth more today than when new, dont you think? compaired to some commodites the 914 has lost value since 1973. compaired to dollars (non-inflation adjusted) the 914 would seem to be a great investment.

I just like to drive mine, I dont worry about the value.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(ape914 @ May 21 2012, 10:38 AM) *

I just like to drive mine, I don't worry about the value.

agree.gif
Dustin
$4,649.00 in 1973 had the same buying power as $24,685.86 in 2012.

Annual inflation over this period was 4.37%.

Apples to Apples.

914s have been worth less then they are now.
Madswede
Regardless of the honest economic comparisons that have been added to this thread to clarify things a bit, I'm still glad I bought my 73 2.0 in 2007. It seems that prices are going up, up, up for decent 914s. True, mine had a bus motor instead of the original 1.7, but so little rust I was happy to have got her for what I did. cool_shades.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Dustin @ May 21 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Apples to Apples.

Not...

This is a subjective argument not objective. Besides there are many other factors to compare besides a static...and I would assume average inflation rate. Buying power is actually more complicated than that.

Carbs vs. FI..?????? Which is better? shades.gif

Dustin
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 21 2012, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dustin @ May 21 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Apples to Apples.

Not...

This is a subjective argument not objective. Besides there are many other factors to compare besides a static...and I would assume average inflation rate. Buying power is actually more complicated than that.

Carbs vs. FI..?????? Which is better? shades.gif

I think you're wrong.
tod914
If a new 1973 914 2.0 cost $4,649.00, the best you could do is to compare it to a like new very low milage CW car's value, since there aren't any new ones. $24,685.86 doesn't seem too far off. Some pristine examples have sold for more than that. In Europe, I would suspect notably more. Think it would be safe to say, they have appreciated slightly given simular kept condition.
windforfun
Are carbs stock on 914s? If so, which ones?
sean_v8_914
gold plated 1.8 euro with dual 34s
sean_v8_914
NADA, Ebay and Excellence mag values have helped many here with insurance claims. the insurance adjusters typically welcome the info since they re not educated abut these cars. I have helped save a few from salvage this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.