Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door ding prevention trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cliffordbf
I got the car with this awful trim on it. I would like to remove it as soon as possible.
Any suggestions for doing this painlessly?

This is the car at its PO's place before I got it:
IPB Image

This is how it currently sits:
IPB Image
falconfp2001
not gonna be painless. They were mounted using rivets.
cary
Ditto .................
I'd wait till you have to repaint it.

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ May 18 2012, 04:24 AM) *

not gonna be painless. They were mounted using rivets.

dakotaewing
How they were mounted varies from dealership and car. Look on the inside of the rear fenderwell to see if there are rivets... Some were put on with adhesive - Either way may be painful, as the adhesive could pull paint off the car as well -
kerensky
My mom had this put on my teener back in the day. Never been a huge fan of it, although it did help a lot when she drove it as her daily, and when I drove it back in high school and college. It doesn't look horrible on a black car. If only it were a bit lower profile, I might even leave it.
KD914
I don't know how painful they are to remove, but you don't paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa, and you don't add "door ding protectors" to a 914. It's gotta go - good luck!
falconfp2001
I had a 1974 Mazda RX4 with the same trim. If it was mounted correctly there will be rivets holding the end tips in the aluminum channel molding. The Urethane insert comes out pretty easily but the Channel is usually riveted on both ends and then the long one will have it every 12" or so.

I also worked at a place for over a year selling this stuff. Installers used to buy this stuff in bulk and just drive around to dealerships installing them for maybe 20 to 50 a car depending on how much molding per car. Real easy to install as you only need a small drill, rivets, masking tape to hold in place and the insert.
cliffordbf
Some of the rivets are making their way out.
IPB Image
Please excuse the dirty car...it is getting a full detail and then getting plasti-dipped blue until I get the whole thing painted.
IPB Image
For those that do not know much about plasti-dip, it is a temporary coating that can be peeled off like plastic, at any time. The benefit to the plasti-dip is that I can paint the car blue this weekend for around $120 and when I decide to do a full paint job in the near future, I can peel this stuff off and start prepping.
falconfp2001
Didn't they use that stunt in Johny Dangerously? I think it was shelf paper though or wall paper?

Andyrew
QUOTE(cliffordbf @ May 18 2012, 08:53 AM) *

Some of the rivets are making their way out.
IPB Image
Please excuse the dirty car...it is getting a full detail and then getting plasti-dipped blue until I get the whole thing painted.
IPB Image
For those that do not know much about plasti-dip, it is a temporary coating that can be peeled off like plastic, at any time. The benefit to the plasti-dip is that I can paint the car blue this weekend for around $120 and when I decide to do a full paint job in the near future, I can peel this stuff off and start prepping.

Seen quite a bit of plastidiped cars, but not a 914!

Keep us posted!
windforfun
If properly installed, I would just ignore it. This addition was very common back then. I think it looks just fine in a period correct sort of way. The trim appears to be straight & tight. Any rust near the rivets?
kmwvmarip
May be a dumb question...
wheels look sharp, what are they.
914itis
QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 18 2012, 10:55 PM) *

I think they are pedrini's
cliffordbf
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2012, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 18 2012, 10:55 PM) *

I think they are pedrini's

If I am not mistaken, they are SprintStars...not sure if that is a model of Pedrini's or not though. http://www.vollks.com.au/store/Sprintstar-8-SPOKE/
kafermeister
If I am not mistaken, they are SprintStars...not sure if that is a model of Pedrini's or not though. http://www.vollks.com.au/store/Sprintstar-8-SPOKE/

Empi SprintStars aka lemmerz SprintStars

ape914
the trim looks a heck of a lot better than door dings. If you have to park where dings occur, the trim is a smart thing. If you cant control who parks next to your car, the trim may not be a bad idea.
cliffordbf
Its not a bad idea in theory, it just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as I would like it to be.

I have seen some of the rivets on the driver's door are starting pull out a bit. No rust around the rivets
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.