Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone in the Sacramento area not working today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
The car has been running great, signed up for an autocross school on Saturday and an autocross on Sunday. Yesterday found a HUGE oil puddle/lake under my car, hasn't been leaking at all. Seems to be coming from the front headbang.gif

Was going to give up, pull the motor Sunday and start getting ready to install my new motor. But I just can't give up that easy, so I took today off and I'm going to attempt to pull the motor fix the oil leak and reinstall it today, so I can drive it at the school tomorrow. Anyone in the area that isn't doing anything today and would like to help is welcome, got lots of beer in the fridge, call my cell for directions if you would like to come by (916) 834-6574, I'm just south of Sacramento off hwy 99.

Wish me luck, oh ya, this will be my first 914 engine pull w00t.gif

Jeff
arkitect
Jeff,
I feel your pain, sorry wish I could help but stuck at work all day. If you take it slow one person can do it. I know cause i've done it a few times. Make sure all connections to motor are taken off, don't forget the ground strap to the trans and watch out for the emergency brake cables, they tend to try to catch as you are dropping the motor.

Dave
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(jsconst @ May 18 2012, 08:20 AM) *

The car has been running great, signed up for an autocross school on Saturday and an autocross on Sunday. Yesterday found a HUGE oil puddle/lake under my car, hasn't been leaking at all. Seems to be coming from the front headbang.gif

Was going to give up, pull the motor Sunday and start getting ready to install my new motor. But I just can't give up that easy, so I took today off and I'm going to attempt to pull the motor fix the oil leak and reinstall it today, so I can drive it at the school tomorrow. Anyone in the area that isn't doing anything today and would like to help is welcome, got lots of beer in the fridge, call my cell for directions if you would like to come by (916) 834-6574, I'm just south of Sacramento off hwy 99.

Wish me luck, oh ya, this will be my first 914 engine pull w00t.gif

Jeff

A little heads up and I could have helped you but I am committed today!! Sorry!
ScottD914
Before you yank the engine, check your oil pressure sending unit. My last minute check just saved me from pulling and disassemble.
10 minutes to fix and back to: driving.gif
Lennies914
What's the update? Let me know if you need help tomorrow. 925-684-4460
JStroud
Its out, its fixed, its back in, just need to finish hooking up the connections in the engine compartment.. I'm driving it tomorrow driving.gif

More later with pics

Jeff
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ May 18 2012, 06:36 PM) *

Its out, its fixed, its back in, just need to finish hooking up the connections in the engine compartment.. I'm driving it tomorrow driving.gif

More later with pics

Jeff

Nice. Next time call Ron Kain or Jim Dupree... Jim owns more 914's than anyone I know and has less running 914's than anyone I know poke.gif
1973-914-2L
wish I saw this earlier ... I'll be busy till the afternoon but will be back about 2 pm, i'll shoot you my phone number ... hit me up if you need a hand late ...

hopefully we can get you going ... you are going to sacramento for sunday right ....

also to the others going up there .. Bob moved it from last time .. its on the south side of the airport ... over where the scca was running last time we went there ... go to the end of the street past the old gate and make a right then its supposed to be down just a bit from there .....

JS call me tomorrow .... every body else ... see you on sunday .... poke.gif

O yea .. I am just down the road from you in Stockton ........
JStroud
Well its done, took it for a test drive all is well. It wasn't too bad, took my time double checked everything, dropped out fairly easily.

Getting started

Click to view attachment

Finally got it out

Click to view attachment

After it was out, turns out, don't say it scott, the oil pressure sender unit was the cause of the leak. I had checked it before I pulled the motor, but it didn't look any different, couldn't see the oil slick running down the front of the fan housing with the motor in, from below oil was coming out of the bottom of the fan housing through the drain hole, so I assumed main seal, or front galley plug, already had to fix two rear plugs that were leaking. Oh well all fixed, also found out one motor mount was broken and the other almost broken, I had a couple of spares so changed those, fixed a few questionable electrical connections, and I learned how to pull a motor and put it back in, so not a total loss.

Here's the culprit ar15.gif

Click to view attachment

Just eliminated the pressure sender and tee, threaded a new idiot light sender into the end of the brake line the tee was threaded into, no more leak.

Well cars all cleaned up and packed for tomorrows AX school, time to hit the hay.

Jeff
JStroud
Thanks to all who offered help, was kinda a last minute decision to tear it down and go for it, or I would have given more notice. Got it done though so alls well.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Sunday's AX, when the car was down, made a business meeting for Sunday morning, gotta keep the jobs rolling too.

But it's AX school today... In my 914, didn't want to have to take the boxster.

Jeff
1973-914-2L
hope to see you at the next one ... sent you my info in a PM ... hit me up ... I do a few runs thru the year thru pelican and pca (will start posting them here but newhere.gif still and have been pretty quiet this year) ..... maybe we can meet up for one of them ...had over 60 at the new year drive this year .. a few from here I think came out .. and 85 for the Canepa tour in April ...(for those interested a return trip is to be in September , PM me for details or to get on the rsvp list )....

have something for next weekend I was supposed to go to up in the hills to the east but can't remember right now ... I'll check my calendar and shoot you the info ...

Steve
JStroud
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ May 19 2012, 06:08 PM) *

hope to see you at the next one ... sent you my info in a PM ... hit me up ... I do a few runs thru the year thru pelican and pca (will start posting them here but newhere.gif still and have been pretty quiet this year) ..... maybe we can meet up for one of them ...had over 60 at the new year drive this year .. a few from here I think came out .. and 85 for the Canepa tour in April ...(for those interested a return trip is to be in September , PM me for details or to get on the rsvp list )....

have something for next weekend I was supposed to go to up in the hills to the east but can't remember right now ... I'll check my calendar and shoot you the info ...

Steve

I talked to Bob today, he's going to carry a credit for me for tomorrow's AX I can't attend, so next Mather AX I'll try and make it.

Car ran great today, had a blast. Can't wait to do it again.
Well I may have to work tomorrow, but it's just a meeting with clients, so at least I get to drive the 914.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.