Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Tool box organization help...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Just bought a new tool box today, big 'ol sucker, but even with all that room, my brain hurts trying to figure out what and how to organize it....i did buy some socket holders which have helped a little except when I find that I have too many 9mm sockets and not enough places to hold them...

thanks
seanery
Mike,
I went to Sears and bought some of their wrench dividers, they're foam.
I've got a drawer each of Metric, Standard and Gear Wrench. This works well, makes it easy to find what you're looking for.

Then for screwdrivers I've got a nice set of Mac drivers that came with an organizer.
I also got some misc. drawer bins from Sears and have one on top and a couple others in drawers.

Organization makes it really easy to find what you want and know what's missing.
morgan
Here's some to think about. I tool box land put in the drawers magnitic Bottoms so tools don't move much . You can lable them how ever you what. Can get this at a place that dose signs for cars or what not
John drunk.gif
seanery
wrench organizers
seanery
socket organizer
seanery
box top-these can get cluttered quick!
wheelo
Sean -

Did you get the socket tray @ Sears too ?

That Rocks...

aktion035.gif
McMark
Where's the box from?
URY914
Mike,
I feel your pain. I've got 5 10mm sockets, but all these nice pretty organizers think everyone only has one of each size. I like the magnatic type, both the lay down and the stand up socket holders but same problem.

So I have my socket holders full and a pile of extras off to the side.
Maybe I should use small boxes for my extras.

Paul
IronHillRestorations
Labeling the outside of the drawers helps.

I don't know if Sears still makes them, but I've got a magnetic socket caddy that holds deep well and regular sockets. It's very handy to take with you instead of going back and forth to the box.

Nice box Sean, I like the organizers.

PK
seanery
the socket organizer came from ebay. I looked for the guy yesterday but couldn't find him. There is a phone # screen printed on it if anyone wants it.

This is one of the $600 Costco boxes. I really like it. I've had it for about a year now and it's been awesome. They have a different $400 box now. I bought it for my Dad for his birthday a couple weeks ago. It's smaller, but he prefers that size.
datapace
Thanks Seanery!

I just picked one up like in the picture for $12.99 "Buy it now".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=11706

Here's another one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=35001

I bet more will be up in a day or so.

-datapace
Mueller
that is a nice organizer Sean !!!

I know you can never have "too many" tools, but I find it odd to have 5 19mm open/closed end wrenches...same size, same style wacko.gif

I bought a few cheap socket organizers like that at Sears, I also got a few of the style in the picture, I need to pick up a few more, I like this type:
BPGREER
I'm kicking myself for not buying that costco one while they had it. I'm thinking about buying that new one they have, but I'm not sure it's big enough. Anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at sears as well, but wasn't overly impressed with what I could get for my $$$. My setup right now sucks. Thanks.

Brian
seanery
Check Sam's Club. They may still have one similar to the big one at Costco.

The smaller one is pretty nice. It's like the left half of the bigger box.
J P Stein
I throw all the metric stuff in one drawer, english in another,
rachets & extensions in another with pliers, air tools in another,"special" tools in another....yada.....it's all in there somewhere cept when they're spread all over the floor wacko.gif
BPGREER
Sorry guys, you were too slow. I just ordered the last 3 they had in stock. bs.gif
O.K. maybe not... But it sure would be nice biggrin.gif
seanery
back when I was making more $ I tried to actually rationalize the purchase of one of those....I kept thinking of the cars that $ would buy. biggrin.gif
L8Apex
Mike,

I bought some socket "sticks" from Sears that you can put your sockets in and also the racks for wrenches. They work good because you can remove them in one piece and bring them to another "mobile" tool box or something else.
zoomCat
The flat style organizer is also available from Harbor Freight, $9.99 everyday.

Harbor Freight Socket Organizer with Holes

Or you could step up to the deluxe model with room for 170 sockets:

Harbor Freight Sockcet Organizer with Posts

I thought about getting the latter, but I'd have to cut it up to fit. Not for me for $16.
J P Stein
Organized? Sure, we gots that.......the metric drawer.
Piece of cake laugh.gif
markb
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Oct 11 2004, 12:35 PM)

Or you could step up to the deluxe model with room for 170 sockets:

Harbor Freight Sockcet Organizer with Posts

This is what I bought fo mine. Bought 2 and cut them up so I could put what I wanted where it wanted to put it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.