Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'Nuther New 914 Adventure....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
If it ain't 1 thang it's a'nuther. mad.gif

Pulled the cold start valve to check & see if it's leakin'. Nope, it's just fine. So's I go & pull all the other injectors to check leakage, spray pattern & volume.... A-OK boldblue.gif

Put it all back together and hit the remote start button I also installed the same day in the engine compartment and it fired right up. Runs great like it's supposed to.

Now comes the adventure unsure.gif
I look under the car just for grins and see BIG drops of oil every 3 seconds. Not just a regular sized drop but a BIG drop. I sure hope it's just the filter & not the oil cooler or its seals.

Geeze.... will my education of 914's never end? pray.gif

.....b
SirAndy
tighten it ...

biggrin.gif Andy

PS: sorry, couldn't resist a dumb answer ...
Bruce Allert
if I could only be so lucky! rolleyes.gif
but thanks for the advice beer.gif

.....b
ThinAir
You should always check the easy things first. After checking the filter to make sure it's not loose, check the oil pressure sender. It's on the top of the engine next to the distributor. They are prone to leaking and it comes down right where you are describing. This is often mistaken as being oil cooler seals, which rarely leak.

If the oil pressure sender is leaking it may be loose, but it is more likely that it is leaking between the metal casing and the plastic top. If that's the case, you can't fix it, just replace it. Because they are prone to leaking, my son developed a technique of smearing RTV on the top of new sender before installing it. It seems to cure the problem.
Bruce Allert
Ernie, you may have hit the nail right where it counts cuz I've been noticing oil around that area... good call beer.gif

.....b
Bleyseng
agree.gif givemebeer.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif clap56.gif
Bruce Allert
oh boy boldblue.gif oh boy boldblue.gif I get to buy another part boldblue.gif YIPPIDY-DOO-DA monkeydance.gif

If I don't have to remove that oil cooler I'd almost be willin t'kiss ya laugh.gif

......b
ThinAir
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Oct 11 2004, 06:31 AM)
If I don't have to remove that oil cooler I'd almost be willin t'kiss ya laugh.gif

Getting together for a beer at WCC2005 will be good enough, thanks! icon8.gif
Bruce Allert
Hay Ernie smilie_pokal.gif good call Man beer.gif Put in that new sender & the leak dried up. $6 fix. I can lice wit dat.

And, if I make it to the WCC2005, I'll buy beers & dinner.

thanks

......b
ThinAir
No problem... That's why we're here! smile.gif

Mike9142.0 gets credit for the RTV trick with those senders. He's got lots of experience with them on his 65 Bug. It's the same one used on 914s and there doesn't seem to be a quality one out there on the market these days. Smearing it with RTV and letting it dry before installing it seems to cure it from future problems.
Bruce Allert
I didn't have any RTV but I did have the gasket sealer I use on the valve covers. Comes in a small plastic bottle & looks dark brown. Put a wee bit of that around the flat face of the sender & screwed it tight. I think my old one just came loose cuz it came off too easy.

thanks again

....b
Mike9142.0
Yep I was replacing the oil press sender in my bug about every two month's.
The last one I put in I put RTV on and has not leaked a drop in 12 month's. smilie_pokal.gif
It is not the sender to case that leak's it is the two half's of the sender that get loose and leak.
The sender needs to ground at the case so nothing should be put on the threds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.