Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX helmets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
M2000 or SA2000? would moto ones work?
VegasRacer
HELMET RATINGS

SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:

SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).
Aaron Cox
didnt completely answer question. would M2000 work for AX
anthony
Yes, most likely. Check the rule book where you autoX to be sure.
dbelleperc
How about this one. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
the answer is ALWAYS 'check with your sanctioning body.'
GaroldShaffer
If you plan to do ANY track time you need a SA rated helmet. Most SCCA regions you can use a M helmet for AXing but NOT when you do any track time.

I just started AXing this year, but I went with a SA helmet. I know there will be some track time / DE events for me next year so I spent some $$ for a SA helmet.

Edit: Damn, I really need spell check..... <_<
jdogg
agree.gif Go ahead and spring for the SA now, it will save you down the road. When I bought my last helmet, all that was required for our club's track events was an M rated helmet, but that has been revised. So now I need to dig into the 914 account for an SA helmet this winter......
seanery
agree.gif

Don't buy your helmet without first trying it on. Different manufacturers sizes are different and you need a helmet that FITS. This isn't a time to skimp. You know the old $10 head statement right?
URY914
Also be careful with open face helmets. The can be very confusing when putting them on. See here...

wacko.gif

Paul
seanery
slap.gif
chairfall.gif
Sammy
I bought a G-force SA2000 open faced helmet for around $150, they have full faced for under $200.
Good stuff.
BTW I have never bought into that $10 helmet/$10 head scam, it was a marketing trick to sell expensive helmets.
All helmets are tested to certain specifications. They have to meet the spec or they don't get the rating.
We need to focus on which specification is correct, not the price of the helmet.

I sincerely do not believe that a $350 simpson will not protect your noggin any better than a $200 g-force with the same rating. headbang.gif
URY914
Helmets are rated (SA, M) but so are the wears of said helmet

The wearer above is rated DA.

Paul
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 11 2004, 08:19 AM)
Helmets are rated (SA, M) but so are the wears of said helmet

The wearer above is rated DA.

Paul

DA = dumbass

miles sent me that pic too wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 11 2004, 07:14 AM)
I sincerely do not believe that a $350 simpson will not protect your noggin any better than a $200 g-force with the same rating.

the ratings are minimums...

some of the higher-end helmets are made of lighter materials (e.g. Kevlar, CF...) and one recommendation is to buy the lightest helmet you can afford.

that said, i bought a forced-air ventilation G-Force helmet for my wife, and when my SA95 Bell times out in 2006, i'll probably get one just like it for myself.
seanery
what I meant by my comment was...don't save $50 by using an M helmet when the SA is really what you need. $50 isn't worth it IMHO.
Sammy
Yup, I agree. Good points. I know people who spend decent money on an M2000 helmet, only to buy an SA2000 helmet less than a year later.
I believe the SA rating calls for Kevlar reinforced plastic and nomex lining for fire resistance.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 12 2004, 02:45 PM)
I believe the SA rating calls for Kevlar reinforced plastic and nomex lining for fire resistance.

for sure it requires fire-resistance, don't know that it requires Nomex by name although that is typically how the standard is met. i don't think Kevlar is required, just a specific level of impact resistance.

all the standards are here. i'd check it out personally the but PDF reader on this particular comupter is buggy and hangs... i'll peruse it later, i've been looking for this link for a while ...

[later happened... there's good stuff there. of note just from the first couple of pages: Snell tests are Pass/Fail and passing helmets are not ranked. therefore, there MAY be a range from "just barely passed" to "passed by a wide margin" but you won't be finding that data on the Snell site. and this, from the forward, in bold there just like it is here: This Standard does not establish construction and material specifications. The Foundation does not recommend specific materials or designs. ]
GTeener
Seems ironic that motorcycle helmets provide slightly less protection than SA helmets, considering there is more vehicle protection in a car than on a motorcycle wacko.gif

I was using an outdated helmet for my first year of AX and no one ever checked ohmy.gif

Couldn't get away with that one at the DE event last June though. They said M rating was acceptable, though, so I had to shell out for an approved helmet.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 12 2004, 03:03 PM)
Seems ironic that motorcycle helmets provide slightly less protection than SA helmets...

it is not necessarily less protection, but it is (possibly) different protection...

motorcycles typically do not need fire resistance, so by testing to a standard that does not require it, the expensive aramid fabrics can be left out of the liners. similarly, motorcycles need much more peripheral vision and M helmets can have larger eyeports than you'll typically see on a SA helmet.
Brando
I'll be getting an M-rated helmut as i wont be doing Time-Trials... just A-X.

Plus, when you have no $$$ it makes things different. sad.gif
seanery
before you buy that helmet, make sure it IS LEGAL for the club(s) you want to run with.
GaroldShaffer
i wont be doing Time-Trials... just A-X.

That's what you say now but once that AX bug bites ya there is no turning back driving.gif w00t.gif
nebreitling
yup! i've only done like 5 AX's, and i'm getting interested in Time Trialing! so i'm looking at SA00 helmets...

gotta work more to pay for this shit.
Brando
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Oct 12 2004, 07:42 PM)
That's what you say now but once that AX bug bites ya there is no turning back driving.gif w00t.gif

No no no... just A-X for now. Maybe time-trials in a year or so when i've buffed my skills up enough.

and i've done my 3.2-6 upgrade, switched to 5-lug, put on boxster brakes, added a roll-bar, beefed up the suspension... all without doing a paintjob biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.