Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires slashed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Lucky me got 3 tires slashed last night. Car came with 195/65/15 Pirelli P6000 tires on stock Fuchs. I'm pretty happy with the Pirellis, but Tire Rack wants 191.00 each for the P6000s. I usually run the best high performance tire I can buy. High marks for rain is always a plus in Oregon too. Mostly street driving. Might run at a Auto-x event. What are you running that you really like?
Michael N
I just put Bridgestone Potenza RE960as on my car and at $74.00 each they seem to best both the best value and highest rated I could find in that size. They are grippy but the sidewall seems softer that I was used to, but I was also on 205/55/16 before going more original with the 15's. It just took a day to get used to the tire but grippy when I put the throttle down running a 2.4S 1973 911 engine in my six.
Andyrew
Slashed tires?

Look at Discount tires as well. Keep in mind their price includes shipping.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/s...ar=65&rd=15

Potenza RE960AS Pole Position show the best "ultra high peformance all season" in its class in your tire size. Great looking wet performance.

With how tall of a tire that your running, your not going to get a lot of the performance tires out on the market.

Ian Stott
I also have the Potenza Pole Position 205/60-15 and am very happy with them, quiet, grippy, reasonably priced and great wear rating.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Black22
I got some Goodyear Eagle GT tires 205/60/15 from (I think) Discount tires on eBay. Buy it now price for 4 was 385.00 delivered to my door! I checked the dates to see if someone was peddling old tires. They were only 3 months old! Great bargain and I like the tires. Good for rain too. Check them out.
Dave_Darling
Toyo R1R are the current hot "street-tire-class" autoX tire. In 205-50/15, at least. If you want dry-pavement grip, that's just about the best one you can get at the moment. Or at least, as of the 2011 SCCA Solo Nationals--so as of about a year ago.

--DD
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Black22 @ May 19 2012, 01:46 PM) *

I got some Goodyear Eagle GT tires 205/60/15 from (I think) Discount tires on eBay. Buy it now price for 4 was 385.00 delivered to my door! I checked the dates to see if someone was peddling old tires. They were only 3 months old! Great bargain and I like the tires. Good for rain too. Check them out.

agree.gif

I just threw a set of these (195/60/15) on my 914 just before WCR. I'm happy with how they performed on the drives. Much more positive feel compared to my 205/60/15s that I had been running. Much less side wall flex and were actually about the same width as the Bridgestones that I had.
a914622
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 19 2012, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ May 19 2012, 01:46 PM) *

agree.gif

I just threw a set of these (195/60/15) on my 914 just before WCR. I'm happy with how they performed on the drives. Much more positive feel compared to my 205/60/15s that I had been running. Much less side wall flex and were actually about the same width as the Bridgestones that I had.

agree.gif 2ND

Just had a set put on the company ford fusion. The GTs make it feel like a mustang! HA
No really I was impressed with the change in the feel over the stock tires that came on the car. low road noise and they grip in the wet.

jcl
dlee6204
I had a set of Eagle GTs on my 914 and I absolutely loved them. They performed great in every condition, dry, rain, snow, etc. I don't think I ever broke lose in the rain. My only issue was that they wore pretty quick. I got less than 20K miles out of them before I had to replaced them and that's with street driving only. A little too low for my tastes.
BMXerror
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Dry grip is very good, though not quite up to the Toyos. However, you will have considerable longevity over the Toyos. They work well in cold weather, and they're about the best of the high performance summer tires in the rain. The only SCCA autocross I ever won in the out-gunned 914 was on Direzzas in the rain.
Mark D.
stugray
I had a set of Eagle GTs on my 914 and I absolutely loved them.

Agreed! I have personal experience with the 914/Eagle-GT combination.

Stu
SirAndy
QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 19 2012, 12:18 PM) *
got 3 tires slashed last night

In my experience, that's usually a deliberate, personal attack and not random.

Meaning, your new tires will probably be slashed too ...
dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2012, 10:46 AM) *

dry.gif

I agree, I was getting a dozen or more screws in the tires of my cars a year before I left Sacramento and now not a one in a year... That's not random. That's a dickhead.
dlo914
i love the Potenza RE760 on my IS300 as a daily driver and autoX tire, and they hold up nicely in the rain. However, my friend got the same tires for his S2000 and said they took longer to warm up due to his car being a bit lighter than mine, but once warmed up he praised them.
balljoint
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 20 2012, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 20 2012, 10:46 AM) *

dry.gif

I agree, I was getting a dozen or more screws in the tires of my cars a year before I left Sacramento and now not a one in a year... That's not random. That's a dickhead.

dry.gif

FIAT owners are so jealous.
osvolant
I second the Potenza RE960 AS in 195/65 R15 for the 914. I put a set on last year to replace OLD 165/80 15 Michelins. While not up to the Direzzas' level of dry grip (we have a set of those on our Civic Si), the Potenzas grip well, are quiet, ride better than the Michelins, and should last a long time. And they are available in the appropriate size!java script:emoticon(':headbanger:',%20'smid_32')
EdwardBlume
Bummer! I hope you don't get slashed again...good luck!

Btw I use yokohama tires due to price / performance concessions. Tires change annually though. Get what you like based on how you drive and then drive them bald!

beerchug.gif
euro911
Sorry for your misfortune sad.gif ... but thanks for starting this thread smile.gif

Coincidentally, I just started searching for new tires for one of our trucks. I'd forgotten about Discount Tires (on line). I bought some tires from them for one of the 914s several years ago - was happy with the tires and their prices.

Just compared their prices with some local stores ... will be ordering from Discount again later in the week. Savings of $400+ thumb3d.gif
steuspeed
Thanks for all the replies guys. There has been a string of smash and grab break-ins all around my house the last two months. Been keeping an eye on the car late in the night (1-2 in the morning) and putting the car cover on if the weather is nice on the weekends. GF left about 1:30AM and I shut out the lights. Must have happened after that? Car has alarm, so I guess I get slashed tires instead. Saw cops with canine unit sweeping the hood two nights before.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone 960AS over the Goodyear GT because of tire weight. The GT has some good looks though. I'm leary of dropping tire diameter with a 205/50/15 since my Scirocco is geared low and it drives me nuts with all the shifting and high rpm highway driving. The Direzza Z1 SS looks like a sweet tire.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 21 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies guys. There has been a string of smash and grab break-ins all around my house the last two months. Been keeping an eye on the car late in the night (1-2 in the morning) and putting the car cover on if the weather is nice on the weekends. GF left about 1:30AM and I shut out the lights. Must have happened after that? Car has alarm, so I guess I get slashed tires instead. Saw cops with canine unit sweeping the hood two nights before.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone 960AS over the Goodyear GT because of tire weight. The GT has some good looks though. I'm leary of dropping tire diameter with a 205/50/15 since my Scirocco is geared low and it drives me nuts with all the shifting and high rpm highway driving. The Direzza Z1 SS looks like a sweet tire.

My best guess, your GF slashed your tires. You gotta do a better job with the girl dude! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.