Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Porsche Recall Campaigns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
So we can walk (or drive) into any Porsche dealership, provide them with the VIN and find out which recall fixes have been performed on a particular car?
1973-914-2L
I think you can find it on the internet ... a few sites have them listed ... although I have never looked for them on the 914 or my 911 .... figure they are 30+ years old so are completely out of warranty ....

You may not like what you find though .... most of the issues that need attention you can find here ... but I think most of them are from age and rust .. not recalls per say ....

Steve
euro911
I have no idea how long VW's warranties lasted in the 70's, but one of the recall campaigns (HO) was issued in 1977 and covered all 914/4s, 1970 through 1976.

HO, issued July 29, 1977: Replace engine bay rubber fuel lines, fuel injector gaskets, new battery cover and strap. The final process was for the dealerships to apply a sticker on right front fender in front trunk and sticker on new battery cover.

The stickers do not appear to have been affixed to any of the 914s I possess.

Actually, of the ten campaigns I read on Jeff Bowlsby's site, I could only find three related to the cars I own:

BC, issued Jul 27 1972: Test interior rear view mirror mounting, re-glue with Loctite #3325 adhesive.

This could possibly be the reason why the mirror fell off the windshield in my wife's car. (I think I can handle this one myself) laugh.gif

BG, issued Oct 26 1972: Replace non-adjustable drivers side seat belt, with a 15mm shorter part (# 914 803 129 10).

This one appears to apply mainly to tall individuals who need to place the driver's seat in the full rearward position, but I'll check the belt to see if it was replaced, just out of curiosity.

and HO (above). I've already replaced all the fuel lines on my '75, and most of them on our '71. ... we'll be installing all new hoses on the '71 as part of it's current restoration process shades.gif

I understand that the 'paint splotches' and 'stickers' [indicating recall procedures were performed by a dealership] could have disappeared or could have been painted-over as time went by. I was just curious as to how many vehicles were repaired under these campaigns and if they were actually performed on my cars confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 19 2012, 08:20 PM) *

So we can walk (or drive) into any Porsche dealership, provide them with the VIN and find out which recall fixes have been performed on a particular car?

Mark - YES, so long as it hasn't been done on your 914, of which PCNA should have a record.

NHTSA recalls are required to be honored at any time, non-NHTSA-mandated ones initiated by the factory can expire, but not if they were in response to a safety issue under NHTSA/US-DOT review.

For example - my early `73 914-2.0 (8/31/72 build date) has a pending work order from PCNA Customer Service for the HO (fuel hoses/etc.) recall, but the BO Fuchs 2L wheels without self-centering milling couldn't be confirmed since the wheels had been changed to Rivieras before I bought it in Dec. 1975 - possibly by the dealer to avoid doing the BO with the more expensive proper fitment Fuchs 2Ls (if your 914 was up to Dec. 72 build, then it may be subject to BO or the other for Mahle/Pedrini wheels on the 1.7Ls).

PCNA sent Regional Service Mgr. Rick Perkins out to my home in Orange in Nov. 2010 to confirm both recalls, since my 914 wasn't/isn't running, but they may make you take yours to a dealer for him to confirm. If you get a chance to chat with Rick, he's a great guy who worked for SoCal P+A dealers in the 70's with a lot of great stories from then & about 914s, 917s, etc. Well worth hanging around for him to show up!

PS - call PCNA's 800# & whatever number for customer service with your VIN first to start an action file, or whatever they call it. If the HO wasn't performed & some parts are still the old ones (e.g.: small battery cover, cloth covered fuel hoses anywhere in the engine bay - including injector elbows), then they'll have to honor the HO recall, collect proper parts & do it free of charge. But pick a dealer who still has an old school aircooled mechanic familiar with 914s on staff to do it, cuz the new guys are mostly clueless on anything old P-car. Last I heard Newport & Circle Porsche still had at least one old school mechanic on staff.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.