Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing rear calipers ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boomy
Hi,

I have found a company in the UK that refurbs 914 rear calipers, and wanted a REALLY EASY explanation of HOW I remove the calipers .. ?? wink.gif

I have only had the car 3 months, so am pretty new to 914 stuff - having been in VW type 1,2 and 3's for 15 years....

I have limited space and tools, so any hints/tips etc, would be handy..I would just get 'stuck-in' but with it being the brakes, didnt want to chance a bodge... smile.gif

I will be fitting a replacement door at the weekend ( hopefully ) as I managed to bend mine in two while reversing.. sad.gif ...long story

In case you are interested, pics of the car ( before the crunch ) can be seen HERE !
BPGREER
I just purchased my 914 a couple of months ago as well. The first thing I did was a complete brake job. Caliper removal was very simple. Put rear on jack stands, remove tire(s), remove the brake line to caliper to the flexible line (you should most likely replace soft line), then there are 2 bolts holding the caliper on. I think its 19mm if my memory serves me. Remove the two bolts, and the caliper comes right off. I almost forgot, you have the parking brake arm as well. I forget exactly how, but it is a pretty straightforward removal. I think it was a pin or clip of some sort. I know pelican parts has a tech article on the rebuild process. check it out.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

Dont forget to bleed your brakes first, brake fluid is messy and corrosive.

Brian

73 Silver 2.0
BPGREER
Oh yeah, the 2 bolts I mention are on the back side of the caliper. A little tricky to get out, but not that bad at all.

Brian
IronHillRestorations
OK, you need a 11mm flare wrench to remove the brake line. If you use a regular open end wrench you'll probably strip the hex head on the end of the brake line.

You'll also need a 19mm wrench to undo the two bolts that hold the caliper to the trailing arm. The easiest way to loosen these is put the wrench on the bolts and hit the wrench with a brass hammer.

You'll also need to know how to bleed the brakes, when you put it back together. This isn't difficult, but if this is new territory for you, you may want to take it to your local tech and have them handle the removal and reinstallation.

First you depress the brake pedal and hold it in with a broomstick or something of that sort, this will keep your brake fluid loss to a minimum.

Next you pull the little clips on the pins than hold the brake pads, gently drive the pins through with a long thin punch. Pull the pads. Press the pistons into the caliper with a piece of wood (if possible). With the brake pedal depressed you may not be able to push the pistons in very much, but if you have the pads out, that's all you really need to do. Especially if you are having the caliper rebuilt, it will be completely dissasembled anyway.

Now take your 11mm flare wrench and remove the brake line, where it enters the caliper. If you've got a 3/8" rubber vacuum cap you can put it over the brake line to keep fluid loss to a minimum. Bend it slightly out of the way.

Take your 19mm wrench and put it on the bolts that hold the caliper to the trailing arm, it it with the brass hammer in a counter clockwise direction to loosen the bolts.

Hope this helps.

PK cool.gif
boomy
Thx guys, I'll let you know how it goes !! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.