Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Panel Cores.. thinking aloud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Has anyone tried an alternative to pressboard for the cores to their door panels?

I've seen panels that are curved at the bottom from moisture or being recovered too tightly. It seems to only get worse as it ages.

So, any ideas for a replacement material? Some kind of plastic, maybe?

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bruce Allert
Someone posted a few weeks ago about using carbon fiber for their door panel and said it was working very good.

....b
morgan
masonnite That could work.
John
TheCabinetmaker
Masonite will warp like crazy when wet, unless you use the tempered variety.
BIGKAT_83
Made these out of 1/8" wall panel board and was able to sew thru the board with the sewing machine. Made both panels from scratch in about a half of day total cost less than $20.

Bob
TimT
You can get 1/8" PVC sheet from McMaster-Carr, its about $50 for a 4X8 sheet. Its easy to cut, and shape. Also very weatherproof. We use it for splitters on the racecars, but we have made dashes from it as well.

I think it would be a great material for door panels
Bruce Allert
Here's the one I remembered:

synthesisdv Posted: Sep 22 2004, 02:05 PM  

914 Wizard

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

I made my door panel from CF, my first CF project. Was easy cuz its just a flat piece. I have other composite projects planned but right now I need to get this lump running again. I like mixing modern materials and technology with old cars or buildings, the juxtapostion brings out the best in both.

Not sure why you care what some others may think of your ideas. Just carry your own flag and I'm sure the likeminded members will find you.  

Attached image:

Qarl
There is a synthetic board that custom photo places use... it's called Sintra board... pvc based.

It is also thermoplastic, so it is heat formable.
boxstr
Hot rod show in Sacramento that I went to had a ton of vendors, one of them was a hot rod interior supplier, door panels and supplys.
They were using abs plastic for door panels. No water absorbtion, no warpage,cuts easily, you can even heat it with a blow torch(there recomendation) for bending our molding, you spray on glue to hold your material for covering.
You secure it to the doors with a 3m product that is a heavy duty velcro. Glue one strip to the door panel and another to the door. Easy on and off.
It is used to make numerous other car goodies, consoles,speaker holders,arm rests.
CCLINPLASTICISOURFRIEND
Joe Bob
I used Lexan. Easy to cut with my sheet metal nibbler, doesn't crack and I had enough left over for a Speedster type windshield for Franky...
morph
we are using fiber glass for our door panel.
Rusty
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 11 2004, 11:00 AM)
Hot rod show in Sacramento that I went to had a ton of vendors, one of them was a hot rod interior supplier, door panels and supplys.
They were using abs plastic for door panels. No water absorbtion, no warpage,cuts easily, you can even heat it with a blow torch(there recomendation) for bending our molding, you spray on glue to hold your material for covering.
You secure it to the doors with a 3m product that is a heavy duty velcro. Glue one strip to the door panel and another to the door. Easy on and off.
It is used to make numerous other car goodies, consoles,speaker holders,arm rests.
CCLINPLASTICISOURFRIEND

Lots of good suggestions here. I really like the idea of using ABS or PVC and velcro. That would make securing the door panels so much easier than all those silly clips.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Gint
What about plain ole plexiglass? Also formable with heat. Cheap enough (last time I bought some).
bondo
I used to have a car made of ABS.. sunlight makes it brittle. If it's covered in vinyl it'd be fine, but don't leave it exposed.
campbellcj
I had some panels made with wood cores for the flat portion and then the original curved top piece was reused. ABS would probably be even better if moisture is a concern.
boxstr
The ABS cuts by just scoring with a sharp utility knife and then snapping , kind of like drywall. It sands, drills and is very pliable when heated with a blow torch.
The velcro material is a 3M product trademarked as Dual lock tape.
I think moisture will always be an issue. Washing the car, rain or just being left outside overnight can have an effect on wood or paper based products.

CCLINABS4914
Red-Beard
I think you'll find "Dr. Evil" has a line on new production, CNC, door panel boards...covered in new vinyl or leather...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 11 2004, 09:45 PM)
I think you'll find "Dr. Evil" has a line on new production, CNC, door panel boards...covered in new vinyl or leather...

ive seen them agree.gif ...Gravy baby!

check what he can do for your interior too! (see my sig)

[/blatantadvertising]
rhaas
the currugated plastic that is used in sign shops works very well. plus it is lightweight. that is what I used in my 911. been working great for 3 years.
Chris914n6
Sintra - foamed PVC plastic used in the sign industry, pretty cheap. Used it on my custom door panels. Easy to work with. Comes is a rainbow of colors lol. If I hadn't of lost access to the CNC Router I would be making these. sad.gif

Coroplast - name brand for the corogated plastic sheet (like cardboard boxes), also a sign industry thing. $10 a 4'x8'.

3M velcro stuff is called DualLock, has a mushroom head design. Have some that I was going to use to attach the door panels but went a different route. Staples or Office Depot or...

Oh, the early OE door panels have a seperate steel top edge with a flat panel. The later are a one piece molded design.
Dr Evil
Here are some laser cut ones that I get made. Ya want some?
StratPlayer
Yes, how much for a set?
914forme
I use this product all the time in my boats KingStarboard, you can glue it, screw it, nail it, staple it, even shape it with common wood tools, avalible in lots of colors, water proof, stable material. They have a version for interior work, seats trim etc....

King Starboard XL Lite

Replaced all the trim sub wood on my boat, great stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.