Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm hub bearing and stub axle install problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
Can anyone let me know if the bearing and hub look to be installed correctly in this pic? I installed the stub axle on one side and everything bolts up in good shape. When I try to complete the other side the stub axle doesn't want to install to the correct depth. Just wondering if something isn't right with the bearing and hub installation. The more I look at this I think the bearing and hub are not installed to the correct depth. The second and third pics shows the side that installed without issue. The fourth and fifth pics show the side I am having the problems with. The six pics show the hub with the problem. The seventh shows the hub that is OK.
bcheney
2nd pic
bcheney
3rd pic
bcheney
4th pic
bcheney
5th pic
bcheney
6th pic...This is what doesn't look right to me. The hub looks to not be pressed in deep enough.
bcheney
7th pic. This hub is pressed in deeper than the side I having the problem on.
Jeffs9146
Torking the nuts down should pull everything into the proper depth!
bcheney
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 20 2012, 03:23 PM) *

I hope you're right! Anyone else with an opinion?
yeahmag
I use the nuts to draw mine in the rest of the way too... Should be fine.

QUOTE(bcheney @ May 20 2012, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 20 2012, 03:23 PM) *

I hope you're right! Anyone else with an opinion?

Eric_Shea
Torque it to spec and you'll be all set.
bcheney
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 21 2012, 01:41 AM) *

Torque it to spec and you'll be all set.

I buttoned everything up this morning and all is well. My torque wrench stops at 150 ft/lbs...So, now I have to find one that will snug up to 220 ft/lbs to complete the job on the hub nut! Thanks everyone!
Steve
I bought a big half inch drive torque wrench at Sears just for that nut.
Jeffs9146
I put grease on the splines when I put mine together to make it easier to snug up!
pcar916
You can calculate where to stand on a standard breaker-bar with your own weight. Takes less time than finding a big t-wrench.

1. The proper torque is 220lbs applied to a breaker-bar one foot from the nut.
2. I weight 190lbs so I want to know how for down the bar to stand to apply 220ft-lbs of torque to the nut. That looks like this...

220lbs /1ft = 190lbs/x ft

3. Solve for x: x = 220/190 = 1.2ft

In my case I'd make a mark on the breaker-bar 1.2ft from the socket and stand on it until it stops turning. For you...

Divide 220 by your weight, make your mark there and stand up!

Note: If you weigh more than 220 you'll stand closer than one foot... less than 220 (like me) and you'll be farther out than one foot.

Good luck
rjames
QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 22 2012, 08:48 AM) *

You can calculate where to stand on a standard breaker-bar with your own weight. Takes less time than finding a big t-wrench.

1. The proper torque is 220lbs applied to a breaker-bar one foot from the nut.
2. I weight 190lbs so I want to know how for down the bar to stand to apply 220ft-lbs of torque to the nut. That looks like this...

220lbs /1ft = 190lbs/x ft

3. Solve for x: x = 220/190 = 1.2ft

In my case I'd make a mark on the breaker-bar 1.2ft from the socket and stand on it until it stops turning. For you...

Divide 220 by your weight, make your mark there and stand up!

Note: If you weigh more than 220 you'll stand closer than one foot... less than 220 (like me) and you'll be farther out than one foot.

Good luck

agree.gif That's the way I did it! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.