Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ran hotter than normal!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Got my petronix installed and the mechanic played with the timing, I think to eliminate the idle "hunting". Car sounds great "valves adjusted as well" but this temp. issue has me worried, it doesn't get that hot up here in Atlantic Canada!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
76-914
A lot. Did he fiddle wIth the timing? Did he adjust the valves, too? Might be a bit too tight. Idle hunting is a lean condition.
Jake Raby
Timing makes a HUGE impact on CHT and EGT. Installing a pertronix or any other electronic ignition REQUIRES the timing to be reset. He should have checked the timing before install and then he'd know where to put it back after the install..
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 20 2012, 05:42 PM) *

Timing makes a HUGE impact on CHT and EGT. Installing a pertronix or any other electronic ignition REQUIRES the timing to be reset. He should have checked the timing before install and then he'd know where to put it back after the install..

Is it more likely to be advanced too much to make it run hotter? This is a long weekend for us Canucks and I am planning on driving some roads to recce them for the 15 July, 2nd Annual PCA New Brunswick tour. I think I heard some "pinging" so I backed off right away and babied her home. The temp dropped back to normal when I drove around 50 MPH but in 4th gear.

Ian Stott
jsayre914
I recently lost a set of brand new pistons less than 300 miles because of advanced timing. BE CAREFULL!

Detonation is a bitch
euro911
Yes, if you heard 'pinging', you're timing is probably too far advanced.

Rotate the distributor clockwise to retard the timing and check with a timing light. Place a mark on the fan and/or flywheel when you ascertain correct timing for your engine.
Ian Stott
I took the car for a quick spin down the Trans Canada Highway before putting it in the garage, slight pinging if you apply throttle when revs are low, grab one gear lower to bring the revs up and it goes away. Remembering a statement Jake Raby made some while ago reference "keeping your revs up, driving at 2000 will ruin these engines" jumped into my mind. I'm usually at 2800 to 3200, my speedometer is in miles so I have to mentally convert to kilometers all the time, between 70 and 80 MPH is the norm for highway. Heading out to my mechanics place where he will look at the timing. The petronics unit works nice, my idle is smoother and the acceleration seems smoother as well.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Ian Stott
My mech. backed the timing off a tad this morning and then took her for a drive temps are now where they are supposed to be. I ran at 75 to 85 MPH for 30 min. or so today which is much warmer than yesterday and the temps got to the E on the temp guage, way less than yesterday. Thanks to those who chimed in, nice to have something like that corrected before the engine gets destroyed.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
IronHillRestorations
Backed off the timing a bit? I recommend setting the timing dead on the nuts!
76-914
I recommend doing it yourself or finding a mechanic that knows these cars. I've been on this board for only 3 yr's and I have seen these cars taken to the "corner mechanic" over and over. And always with the same crappy results. These cars require precession compared to their contemporary counterparts. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Sounds like things are where they need to be.

Doing timing only take a few minutes, and is something easy to learn. It could also save your engine. I do timing every time I do valves (~once a year).

Zach
r_towle
What motor and what fuel system do you have?
Timing on djet is set at 3500 rpm,s.
This is not a typical thing that most mechanics will know.

Rich
Ian Stott
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 21 2012, 11:40 PM) *

What motor and what fuel system do you have?
Timing on djet is set at 3500 rpm,s.
This is not a typical thing that most mechanics will know.

Rich

I have a 73 2.0, all stock except now I have the Petronix. I went on the Pelican site and looked up timing for my engine which says 27 degrees at 3500 RPM and told the mechanic, and that is what he went by. I appreciate the comment re. learn to do it yourself but I have physical limitations which pretty much prevents me from the physical part of doing stuff, I am learning as I go and the stuff I can do, I do. Thanks a lot for the advice, I appreciate all who chimed in.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
76-914
Ian, your mechanic can open your plugs up another .002 to take advantage of the Pertronix. I tried to find the link to the Pertronix article but couldn't find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.