Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
Hi..

In my car I have one key and locks the doors and the front trunk only. The dash and the rear trunk, apparently, do not match.

Whats the best way to fix this? I cant take it to a locksmith cuz they arent going to want to remove the lock from the dash.. are they? Is it hard to remove myself? If so, where can I find the procedure for removing these.

Its not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to lock the dash down.

Thanks,

David
ambergris
Hey David,
I've got the same problem, except I don't even have a key that works the door locks! Just a working ignition key. When I get the chance, I was planning on getting some fresh copies made of my ignition key, and then re-keying the door locks to match. There's a Pelican article that covers door locks. Not sure about the trunk locks, but I imagine the mechanism is similar. I've taken apart the door handles before, and it's pretty easy.
Oh, the P article is at:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m..._lock_rekey.htm
jimtab
A competent locksmith can do it all, ask if they do foreign autos in advance (so they'll have the pins) I had my new trunk lock keyed to my ignition lock and the price was not too bad, actually it was an old client of mine and he wouldn't charge me at all, so I bought lunch.
davidcalvin
So, a competent locksmith will know how to extract the locking mechanism from the dash? If so, that would be great.

Any recommendations for competent locksmiths in the Cali south bay?

Thanks,

David
SirAndy
it's easy to do yourself if you have a selection of tumblers to play with.
took me about 1/2 hour per lock (including lock removal and putting it back).
the tumblers are numbered 1 through 4 (read: 4 different sizes), that's all!

put your key in the lock that doesn't match the key and see which tumblers are sticking out. take those out and replace with 1 number up/down, try again until all tumblers are flush with the cylinder when the key is in and you're done!
be careful not to lose any of the tiny springs!
best is to do it one tumbler at the time.

really not that hard,
smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.