Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updated The Fuel Pump...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Before I spend much more time trouble shooting, I thought I would seek some wise advice.

The 74 2.0 ltr. (Fuel Injected) had been sitting for about 4 years when I baught it. First task was to:
- clean out the fuel tank, including screen.
- install stainless lines
- replace all the hoses
- installed new fuel filter.
- cleaned all the electrical connections.
- validated the fuel pump circuit.

After validating that the pump needed to be replaced, I decided to update to the 75-76 late stype fuel pump, just to get it running again. To quickly move it along, I put the new pump in the same spot below the battery as the old one, just had to modify pumping for the two fitting pump. After installing, when I engage the ignintion, the pump runs for a couple of seconds and then cuts off as it should.

The problem is that I am not getting any fuel to the top of the engine. After engaging the circuit a few times, I cracked open the delivery line, and I heard a pressure sound, like it had a vacume on the line. The return line from the pressure regulator has nothing in it when I open it up. I have validated that fuel is getting
to the pump, but it is not getting through it. I wired into the normal fuel pump electrical socket. Any ideas to determine why it might not be getting fuel?

Thanks in advance!
wndsnd
check to see you didn't reverse the feed with the return inadvertantly.
tod914
Swap your wires, maybe it's backwards? I take it your getting fuel to the filter? That is also directional. Pump might need priming. You can fill it with gas and that should do it.
74914LE
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 20 2012, 03:50 PM) *

check to see you didn't reverse the feed with the return inadvertantly.

Thanks. I checked that one, and Since there is a 7mm and 9mm SS Fuel Line, I have the 7mm line running straight up to the Pressure Regulator, and with the 9mm line, it is running into the fuel filter(Since it is a late model filter, it has the small input and the large output, so I created a stepdown adapter) and then into the large input side of the fuel pump. Let me know if this not correct?

Is it possible to reverse the polarity on the pump? I will check this the next time I am under there, but I recall running the negative to the BROWN ground side of the fuel pump plug.
TheCabinetmaker
If I'm reading you right, it sounds like the filter its backwards. Small in, large out.
74914LE
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 20 2012, 04:13 PM) *

If I'm reading you right, it sounds like the filter its backwards. Small in, large out.

I believe I have the filter lined up correctly. There is a directional arrow, and the large end of the filter is going into the large end of the pump. Priming the filter and pump will be a step as well. Assumed that since there was fuel in the line, that it would feed through. Will also verify the polarity on the wiring. Hopefully it is just a few more simple steps to success.

Thanks!
tod914
The pump needs to be primed from the small end. The end that goes into the engine bay. At least you know the line isn't clogged. Can you post a shot how you mounted it? Maybe also post or illustrate your fuel line routing. Like the other guys said, very easy to get them swapped.
74914LE
Thanks for the advise on the pump priming. That was the issue. Fuel Flows now. Now the fun part of getting the ignition sorted out.

74914LE
Engine starts and runs, but will not hold an idle, and will not rev past 4000 rpms. It runs great between 1500 and 3500 rpms. Any ideas before I start running down the checklist? Hopefully someone has seen this before...

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Glad you got it figured out. Have you done a valve adjust, set dwell, timing, fuel pressure? All these will make a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.