Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That tarboard stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
You know the stuff.. 1/8" thick all over your cars floor.Where can i get more?
Mr.242
AA has it.

I removed all of mine. Found pockets of rust starting under that stuff mad.gif
Andyrew
Modern replacement is Dynomat or similar Google search shows this as a cheap alternative.
http://www.fatmat.com/

The tar stuff is just a sound deadner.
speed metal army
Hmm maybe i will start scraping...
tradisrad
The heat gun is your friend for this job.
Brett W
Get dry ice. Break it up and spread it all over the tar. The tar will harden and you can smack it with a hammer. If should chip right off. Don't use a heat gun as you will just soften it and make it even harder to get off.

Look on Ebay for sound deadening. There is a company selling similar stuff in rolls. It works great and looks kinda like the factory stuff with a foil covering.
walterolin
There are several threads on this subject. One suggestion was an air tool called "Air Scraper Kit" sold by the Astro Pneumatic Tool Company. I got mine from Amazon, about $40.00 US. I have a fairly small compressor and tank, and the tool worked fine. Took the old tarry stuff up really well, and quick, no need for heat or solvents.

Olin
speed metal army
There is a ton of this shit on here! mad.gif yuck.
dakotaewing
Remove tar. Clean metal of all rust, which usually means down to bare metal. Spray with 3 coats Epoxy Primer (Automotive Grade, which means NOTHING that comes in a spray can). Spray Color. Spray Clear. Enjoy.

aktion035.gif Too noisy? Get some ear buds!
speed metal army
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 21 2012, 09:32 PM) *

Remove tar. Clean metal of all rust, which usually means down to bare metal. Spray with 3 coats Epoxy Primer (Automotive Grade, which means NOTHING that comes in a spray can). Spray Color. Spray Clear. Enjoy.

aktion035.gif Too noisy? Get some ear buds!

Ha! Noise shmoize! My new setup will be music to my ears. beerchug.gif
Taking advice!
mepstein
QUOTE(Brett W @ May 21 2012, 11:54 PM) *

Get dry ice. Break it up and spread it all over the tar. The tar will harden and you can smack it with a hammer. If should chip right off. Don't use a heat gun as you will just soften it and make it even harder to get off.

Look on Ebay for sound deadening. There is a company selling similar stuff in rolls. It works great and looks kinda like the factory stuff with a foil covering.

Careful - Dry ice may also remove the undercoat/paint while your removing the floor tar.
sean_v8_914
no heat
EAR PLUGS!!!
air chisel or hand chisel and hammer. strike with shallow angle on teh tool
treat rust (passivate) with phosphoric acid like Jasco, Ospho, Metal Ready, SEm Rust Mort, PPG DX 535
bulitt
Someone suggested laying down yoga mats. Cheap at Target or Walmart, just place them under carpet with no glue.
JRust
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 22 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Someone suggested laying down yoga mats. Cheap at Target or Walmart, just place them under carpet with no glue.

I did this & it works great. I also removed the tar mat. Once it was all clean I used a bedliner made by dupont that rolls on. Not everyone's first choice but I liked the product. Went on nice & smooth & wasn't very thick at all. I put on at least 3 coats & then painted my floor the stock color. If I didn't tell you you would never know it was there. Then I used the yoga mat cut to fit the bottom of my carpet. Works great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.