Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment weirdness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
Followed the Cap'ns valve adjustment procedures a few months back on my 74 1.7L with 1.8L-jet setup.
While adjusting whatever valve he spec'd out to my 0.006 tolerance, I would move onto the next cylinder valve he had spelled out in his procedure. I remember rotating the engine to the next valve, and noticed that the valve I just adjusted had a much bigger gap than I just set. Very confused why that would be? I had the previous valve set at TDC, why would turning the engine to the next cylinder cause the previous adjusted valve gap to be bigger?
I buttoned everything up, and ran the engine. It was noisy. It's been many years since I last heard this engine run, so I forget what the normal sound should be.

I decided to readjust the valves last week, but this time I pullled the spark plugs out and verify TDC on each cylinder before adjusting the valves. I noticed the same exact thing. After adjusting the number 1 cylinder valves, I would move on to the next cylinder. Rotating the engine to TDC on the next cylinder yielded the same results. The number 1 cylinder head valves had a much greater gap, not sure maybe 1/8" gap. Do I have a hidden hole on my camshaft?
pilothyer
Are you sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke when you adjust the valves for cylinder # 1 ? Your rotor should be pointed at the #1 spark plug wire on the distributor. You should also see the intake valve close for cylinder #1 before the piston goes to TDC if you are turning the tire forward while in 5th gear......You've got me wondering.
Dave_Darling
The Cap'n's procedure does not rely on getting a cylinder to TDC.

I have found that a valve gap will measure larger if the companion valve on that cylinder is open. At least, on my car.

--DD
reharvey
agree.gif
pilothyer
I decided to readjust the valves last week, but this time I pullled the spark plugs out and verify TDC on each cylinder before adjusting the valves. I noticed the same exact thing. After adjusting the number 1 cylinder valves, I would move on to the next cylinder. Rotating the engine to TDC on the next cylinder yielded the same results. The number 1 cylinder head valves had a much greater gap, not sure maybe 1/8" gap. Do I have a hidden hole on my camshaft?

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 22 2012, 01:13 AM) *

The Cap'n's procedure does not rely on getting a cylinder to TDC.

--DD

QUOTE(reharvey @ May 22 2012, 06:10 AM) *

agree.gif

OK guys, rolleyes.gif My reply was based upon Tim's second paragraph biggrin.gif
brant
I would go to TDC by the mark on the fan combined with the relative position of the distributor...

don't mix up the 5degree mark with the TDC mark.

try it that way.
your not on TDC
Cap'n Krusty
I don't care if you're on TDC. It just doesn't matter using my technique.

The Cap'n
brant
Cap'n,

I use your technique now and its so much easier...
but would the adjustment ever increase after setting it?
76-914
Maybe one of you guys can set me str8 on this. I've always tried to approach each valve by rotating the engine in the direction it turns and not reversing direction if I pass it up. I always felt that the lash might effect my setting if I backed the engine back to the correct point. I'm probably Full of stromberg.gif but it makes me feel better. biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 21 2012, 11:13 PM) *

I have found that a valve gap will measure larger if the companion valve on that cylinder is open. At least, on my car.

--DD

Then I would suggest that your rocker shaft towers are not torqued correctly or you have a shit pile of wear in the rocker bushings / shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.