Full Version: This is so wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
More like a "downgrade!"
jaxdream
I can't drive 55 !!!!!!!! hissyfit.gif happy11.gif

Jack
walterolin
This might be worse than a "VW-PORSCHE" emblem on the back of your 914.

BTW, my daughter in law has an uncle from Germany who came to Kentucky last week to visit. She was trying to tell him about my 914 undergoing restoration, and he was a little confused, and then he brightened and said auf Deutsche "Oh, you mean the Volkswagen!"
SGB
Consider it "period" appropriate. Got any disco cassettes? It was like the 55mph limit to music...
underthetire
QUOTE(walterolin @ May 22 2012, 06:50 AM) *

BTW, my daughter in law has an uncle from Germany who came to Kentucky last week to visit. She was trying to tell him about my 914 undergoing restoration, and he was a little confused, and then he brightened and said auf Deutsche "Oh, you mean the Volkswagen!"

I wish I had a 914 that said VW-PORSCHE !

That means i most likely have a -6 !
toolguy
For those of you who weren't driving in 1973, here's the scoop on '55 MPH' speedos..
Jan 2, 1974. President Richard Nixon signed a bill requiring states to limit highway speeds to a maximum of 55 mph. This measure was meant to conserve energy during the crisis precipitated by the embargo imposed by the Arab oil-producing countries. A plan, used by some states, limited sale of gasoline to odd-numbered days for cars whose plates ended in odd numbers and even-numbered days for even-numbered plates. Some states limited purchases to $2–$3 per auto, and lines as long as six miles resulted in some locations.

So what may seem like good news in todays standards, gas went from 33 cents to 66 cents a gallon overnight. . it killed people and the economy to spend a whole $10 to fill your tank.
Here in California, you could only get gas on every other day depending on your plate number. . and was limited to 10 gallons by most stations . .people waited in long lines, sometimes for hours. . . most stations had only an allotted amount of gas and when it was gone, the shut down for the day, even if there were people waiting in line. . lots of unhappy motorists. . . when the supply cam back later on, the price climbed to 99 cents and people didn't squawk because at least they were getting the gas. . . Once again, the oil companies and the oil producing nations made out. . speculation was and still is that this was a giant conspiracy by them and a manufactured 'shortage' and embargo.

Same thing going on today. . Wouldn't you be happy to get gas at under $3 ???
carr914
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 22 2012, 11:07 AM) *

Incorrect, as there was a 914 VW-Porsche rear emblem that is different from the -6

Click to view attachment
walterolin
I would suffer the indignity of a VW-PORSCHE emblem if my little 1.7
four could become an original six.

Here is another example of fours with the VW in the emblem: http://www.p914.com/p914_badges_euro.htm
pt_700
finally, a needle my car can bury!
ldsgeek
I'm pretty sure the red 55/85 max speedos were thanks to Jimmy Carter. They came into being in 1980 and were gone by 1982. I had a 1979 CB750 and a 1982 Goldwing and both had 120MPH speedos.

Interesting factoid: the calibrations (numerical) had to stop at 85, to prevent people from trying to bury the needle (like that would work) but the Mustang GT of that period just stopped the numbers, the tick marks and pin went up to 135 so you just needed to be able to count ticks for higher speeds.

QUOTE(toolguy @ May 22 2012, 07:12 AM) *

For those of you who weren't driving in 1973, here's the scoop on '55 MPH' speedos..
Jan 2, 1974. President Richard Nixon signed a bill requiring states to limit highway speeds to a maximum of 55 mph. This measure was meant to conserve energy during the crisis precipitated by the embargo imposed by the Arab oil-producing countries. A plan, used by some states, limited sale of gasoline to odd-numbered days for cars whose plates ended in odd numbers and even-numbered days for even-numbered plates. Some states limited purchases to $2–$3 per auto, and lines as long as six miles resulted in some locations.

So what may seem like good news in todays standards, gas went from 33 cents to 66 cents a gallon overnight. . it killed people and the economy to spend a whole $10 to fill your tank.
Here in California, you could only get gas on every other day depending on your plate number. . and was limited to 10 gallons by most stations . .people waited in long lines, sometimes for hours. . . most stations had only an allotted amount of gas and when it was gone, the shut down for the day, even if there were people waiting in line. . lots of unhappy motorists. . . when the supply cam back later on, the price climbed to 99 cents and people didn't squawk because at least they were getting the gas. . . Once again, the oil companies and the oil producing nations made out. . speculation was and still is that this was a giant conspiracy by them and a manufactured 'shortage' and embargo.

Katmanken
QUOTE(toolguy @ May 22 2012, 11:12 AM) *

Once again, the oil companies and the oil producing nations made out. . speculation was and still is that this was a giant conspiracy by them and a manufactured 'shortage' and embargo.

No speculation, actual fact- it ws a fake oil embargo. In Florida, the "official" story was that there was limited gas coming in and they were shipping it out as fast as it came in to the public. My brother-in-law took me out to the port of Ft. Lauderdale, we climbed up a tower, and with binoculars, he showed me how the gas and oil storage tanks all had floating tops. ALL of the floating tops were bulging from being filled to the max. Couldn't see it from the ground so the public and tanker truck drivers were clueless. Then he pointed out how there were a large number of oil tankers floating offshore, waiting to unload. blink.gif

Madswede
QUOTE(walterolin @ May 22 2012, 09:27 AM) *

I don't get this attitude some people have. It's all good, to each their own, but to me, considering that the 914 was a joint VW-Porsche design effort and (in Europe) marketed that way, I take pride in it. I like VWs! I wish Porsche had done the same marketing here in the US. I know why they didn't, I just wish they'd had the balls to do it anyway.

I plan to put some sort of VW-Porsche emblem on the back of my 914. It was a lowly 1.7 turned bus motor 2.0 and is becoming a 3.2 RS monster that Series9 is building. Dunno what this "indignity" is of which you speak... I mean, they were made at Karmann ... confused24.gif

Come to that, my "other" favorite Porsche line is the 944-968 model line, which started as another VW-Porsche concept that turned into an Audi-Porsche project with the somewhat lowly 924. Compare it to where the 968 Turbo RS cool_shades.gif ended up (comparable to the most high end of the Type 993 911s at the time, and probably could have been available for less) and the fact that they only made about a dozen or them or so, one quickly realizes that the marketing of the world's most recognizable sports car casts shadows over innovation. At least until now. I mean, now we have the Cayenne and the Panamera ...

Yeah, love the cars ... not so much the company.

Here is another example of fours with the VW in the emblem: http://www.p914.com/p914_badges_euro.htm

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on getting in black.
ConeDodger
55MPH speed limit was Elizabeth Dole's pet project. IIRC she had a position in DOT, perhaps even Secretary of Transportation.

A friend of mine worked in the printing industry. There was a bumper sticker that the Government was handing out back then: "55 It's the Law" My friend Terry and I got together and had 500 bumper stickers made that said "55 It's the Law" and in tiny little letters in the same font, it said "and it sucks..."
One night after an autocross we were all hanging out at the local bar when the bouncers threw out some loser. The guy resisted and the local constables were called in to give the guy a temporary residence for the night. While they were busy containing the guy, we snuck up on the squad cars and put our bumper sticker over the Government issue one... Nobody had a camera but we saw those squad cars running around Robbinsdale Minnesota for months with them on. They either didn't notice or didn't care... biggrin.gif
johannes
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 22 2012, 12:08 PM) *

55MPH speed limit was Elizabeth Dole's pet project. IIRC she had a position in DOT, perhaps even Secretary of Transportation.

A friend of mine worked in the printing industry. There was a bumper sticker that the Government was handing out back then: "55 It's the Law" My friend Terry and I got together and had 500 bumper stickers made that said "55 It's the Law" and in tiny little letters in the same font, it said "and it sucks..."
One night after an autocross we were all hanging out at the local bar when the bouncers threw out some loser. The guy resisted and the local constables were called in to give the guy a temporary residence for the night. While they were busy containing the guy, we snuck up on the squad cars and put our bumper sticker over the Government issue one... Nobody had a camera but we saw those squad cars running around Robbinsdale Minnesota for months with them on. They either didn't notice or didn't care... biggrin.gif

Ha ha ha ! Good story ...
JawjaPorsche
Would the VW speedometer work with stock 914 speedo cable? Would it be accurate? Just asking. blink.gif
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Madswede @ May 22 2012, 12:52 PM) *

I don't get this attitude some people have. It's all good, to each their own, but to me, considering that the 914 was a joint VW-Porsche design effort and (in Europe) marketed that way, I take pride in it. I like VWs! I wish Porsche had done the same marketing here in the US. I know why they didn't, I just wish they'd had the balls to do it anyway.

I plan to put some sort of VW-Porsche emblem on the back of my 914. It was a lowly 1.7 turned bus motor 2.0 and is becoming a 3.2 RS monster that Series9 is building. Dunno what this "indignity" is of which you speak... I mean, they were made at Karmann ... confused24.gif

Come to that, my "other" favorite Porsche line is the 944-968 model line, which started as another VW-Porsche concept that turned into an Audi-Porsche project with the somewhat lowly 924. Compare it to where the 968 Turbo RS cool_shades.gif ended up (comparable to the most high end of the Type 993 911s at the time, and probably could have been available for less) and the fact that they only made about a dozen or them or so, one quickly realizes that the marketing of the world's most recognizable sports car casts shadows over innovation. At least until now. I mean, now we have the Cayenne and the Panamera ...

Yeah, love the cars ... not so much the company.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on getting in black.

What he said! I like it euro style. (and I don't mean chicks with hairy armpits) happy11.gif
Click to view attachment
patssle
So it's an actual useful speedometer to measure the speed the car is going 99.9999% of its life?

Versus my speedometer in my Mazda 3 where the portion that I use most is like 25% of the entire speedometer because it needs to show high MPH.

Click to view attachment
Michael N
I had a 1982 911 that came with one of those 85 mph speedometers. I drive me crazy not to actually know how fast I was going after 85 mph. I had palo alto speedometer fix it as one of my first changes to to that car.
Michael N
blink.gif
jimkelly
i like easy to read speedos

jim
poorsche914
Soon to be in my garage...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 22 2012, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ May 22 2012, 11:07 AM) *

Incorrect, as there was a 914 VW-Porsche rear emblem that is different from the -6

Click to view attachment

Man, you take things to literally. I did say most likely!
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 22 2012, 05:42 PM) *

Soon to be in my garage...

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

Love (covet) that speedo drooley.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(patssle @ May 22 2012, 05:12 PM) *

So it's an actual useful speedometer to measure the speed the car is going 99.9999% of its life?

Versus my speedometer in my Mazda 3 where the portion that I use most is like 25% of the entire speedometer because it needs to show high MPH.

Click to view attachment

I have a 85 MPH speedo in my 88 Jeep pickup. And I can bury the needle on it easily. My opinion, get a speedo that will show the range the car is capable of, not one that is some government mandated mind game to make you think you are going faster.
rnellums
So the 85 mph speedo is perfect for me then! agree.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Michael N @ May 22 2012, 04:04 PM) *

I had a 1982 911 that came with one of those 85 mph speedometers.

My wife's SC is also an 82. She is proud to claim that she has never gone more than 85 MPH in the car. (Even when the GPS read triple digits.) w00t.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.