Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California S.B. 1744 (?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DblDog
This bill was extended for reconsideration in the latter part of April. Has anyone been following this or heard if its been voted on again? Would likely change the value of '76 cars here in CA...in a good way.
eric9144
If it sounds too good to be true...

Lets hope this passes, it would be great for us Californians, smogging the old cars is a major PITA!
euro911
I'm hoping ... I really want a Vanagon Westy, without needing to smog it biggrin.gif
LotusJoe
QUOTE(DblDog @ May 22 2012, 08:24 AM) *

This bill was extended for reconsideration in the latter part of April. Has anyone been following this or heard if its been voted on again? Would likely change the value of '76 cars here in CA...in a good way.

Do you have a link to this legislation? I can't find anything under S.B. 1744 confused24.gif
arkitect
Do you have the SB number wrong? The search I did shows it is SB 1224. According to this post - http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/ema...mp;ei=NE-IVTNYN

This should have already been decided, anybody?

Dave
euro911
April 10 2012 - Set, second hearing. Failed passage in committee. (Ayes 3. Noes 4. Page 3123.) Reconsideration granted.

popcorn[1].gif
mrbubblehead
there was a petition going around. i should have posted it here.... i also wrote a letter to my congressman.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 22 2012, 09:50 AM) *

Lets hope this passes, it would be great for us Californians, smogging the old cars is a major PITA!

California passed this legislation before, and a couple years later changed it back. A lot cars were scraped when the laws were reinstated because people thought it was safe to modify their cars.
76-914
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 22 2012, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 22 2012, 09:50 AM) *

California passed this legislation before, and a couple years later changed it back. A lot cars were scraped when the laws were reinstated because people thought it was safe to modify their cars.

I've lived here for 11 yr's so that was before I got here. Can you give me some leads, links, write ups, etc. re: that, so I can educate myself? If it happens again, I'll be loading Boxer's mailbox on regular basis. mad.gif If we don't study our history we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.
jmill
It would be nice but I don't think big business will let it happen. In the past, companies would buy up and scrap old cars to get the pollution credits. The credit would = 80% of the emissions the car would produce and would last 3 years. I don't know if that program still exists but it would explain a lot.
Andyrew
Do we know who said yes and who said no?
euro911
[rant]

Good luck with getting Bar-bore-a Boxer-shorts, or Dianne Frankenstein to even read your messages. Their staffs filter through everything and round-file anything that doesn't go along with their 'progressive' agendas mad.gif

Over the years, I've penned sincere, concerned letters to both of them on quite a few issues, with nary a receipt notification from either one. Those same letters were read and responded to by 'the other white meat', no problem.

I thought that 'elected officials' were supposed to represent all constituents, not just their lap dogs and campaign supporters.

No, I really didn't expect either BB or DF to respond, let alone with any intelligent debate.

[/end rant]
DblDog
Dave, I don't know if I'm doing this right, but thank you for the correction.

This governmental action will not only affect us, but enthusiasts from many marques.

It seems that they (those on the dark side), are looking at ways to increase the 'tax income stream' to the government, with impunity, one could add,...On the other hand, wouldn't it be better to reduce the fees on these 'hobbies' and look at the increased sales tax revenue that would be realized, because, we who are addicted, spend A LOT of cash chasing the things that we enjoy!

BB, DF...lighten up!

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 22 2012, 07:30 PM) *

[rant]

Good luck with getting Bar-bore-a Boxer-shorts, or Dianne Frankenstein to even read your messages. Their staffs filter through everything and round-file anything that doesn't go along with their 'progressive' agendas mad.gif

Over the years, I've penned sincere, concerned letters to both of them on quite a few issues, with nary a receipt notification from either one. Those same letters were read and responded to by 'the other white meat', no problem.

I thought that 'elected officials' were supposed to represent all constituents, not just their lap dogs and campaign supporters.

No, I really didn't expect either BB or DF to respond, let alone with any intelligent debate.

[/end rant]

How about studying up on how our government works. Boxer and Fienstein are US Senators. They don't vote on stuff on the state level. Find out who your state senators and reps. are and write them an email, snail mail, etc. I got a letter from my state rep. saying the bill was still being discussed in the transportation committee and not up for vote yet. That was some time ago and I haven't heard much about it since. I don't think it has a chance. Anyone who votes for it will be immediately pounced upon by his or her opponent as being AGAINST clean air. Our cowardly state reps. don't vote for or against to improve life in California, all they're interested in is getting re-elected. Whoa! This almost sounds like a political post. av-943.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 22 2012, 08:20 PM) *
... Boxer and Fienstein are US Senators. They don't vote on stuff on the state level. ...
You're absolutely correct, but my one-way correspondence with those two wasn't concerning state senate bills. My rant was more about political polarization and what seems to be non-representation (and yes, I know it runs rampant in both parties) dry.gif

pray.gif You are a Master Debater poke.gif
76-914
I will say that B&F have both responded (via an aid I'm sure) to several of my msg's. Perhaps if you "struck" the word "bitch" from future rants they might respond. lol-2.gif
I wonder how much a good Lobbyist cost nowadays?
arkitect
I'd be willing to chip in to the cause, "to grease the wheels with a donation". Since the world only is concerned with money, how much of a bribe would it take?

Dave
Dave_Darling
This has veered well into the territory of politics, a topic which is explicitly not welcome on this board. If you wish to discuss it, please take the discussion elsewhere.

--DD
SLITS
The original "killer" of the 30 year exemption was Assemblyman Joe Flores.
IPB Image
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 23 2012, 09:50 AM) *

IPB Image

if i remember correctly, it was to be a rolling 30 year exemption. in year 2000, all 1970 cars would be exempt. in 2001, the 1971 cars would be exempt. and so on.

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 23 2012, 09:36 AM) *

This has veered well into the territory of politics, a topic which is explicitly not welcome on this board. If you wish to discuss it, please take the discussion elsewhere.

--DD

The comments about the Senators aside, this is NOT a political discussion or argument. What it IS is a discussion of how the law affects our cars. Politicians decide how fast we can drive. Would a discussion of speed limits be asked to move elsewhere?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 23 2012, 09:50 AM) *

IPB Image

Right again Ron. I think he was from Fresno?
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2012, 06:14 PM) *
The comments about the Senators aside, this is NOT a political discussion or argument. What it IS is a discussion of how the law affects our cars. Politicians decide how fast we can drive. Would a discussion of speed limits be asked to move elsewhere?
I take full blame for politicizing the subject. No, wait ... Let's blame Canada idea.gif

I was bummed when they killed the rolling 30-year exemption. I held on to my '76 BMW 530i, hoping they would resume the exemptions, but I finally gave up all hope a couple a years ago and sold the old gal (for mere peanuts, I might add) dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.