Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VOT: Garage Door Closes but Doesn't open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
So I think it's a Chamberlain garage door motor. Don't have a remote but there is a button on the wall that should open and close the door.

Well it closes the door but no opening action. I have to unlatch the cable and open the door manually when Teener wants to get out.

Any troubleshooting experience out there? Thanks
underthetire
Does it try? Check the force setting. Should be a knob on the back of the opener.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 22 2012, 11:06 AM) *

So I think it's a Chamberlain garage door motor. Don't have a remote but there is a button on the wall that should open and close the door.

Well it closes the door but no opening action. I have to unlatch the cable and open the door manually when Teener wants to get out.

Check to see if one of your springs broke! They need to be replaced every 20 years or so!
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 22 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Mine would close hard but would not open without me helping the door along.

Quick test: disconnect the door from the electric motor via the red handled pull cable. If you have a hard time lifting the door without motor assist, then it is a busted spring. The garage door tech told me the new style springs (which I have) only last about 10,000 cycles or around 5-7 years!
rhodyguy
you should hear the motor activate when you try to open it even if it doesn't raise. check to make sure the safety beam sender and receiver are still lined up.
two-strokejohn
If your Chamberlin opener has the photo eyes on the side of the doors, they are out of adjustment or nor working. several troubleshooting guides on the youtube area.
Jeffs9146
If it goes down it is not the photo eyes!
phatnine11
Release the door and leave the latch open. Then try the system several times without the door attached. If it (opener) slides in both directions, I think I would move onto the springs.
good luck,
Phatnine11
Pat Garvey
I've had two of my three doors break springs. Trust me, you hear a spring break.....loudly!

Don't think the photo eyes are an issue because the door closes.

Michael N
Some models have a vacation mode on the wall button next to the light button and open button. Make sure you are not in vacation mode.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ May 22 2012, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 22 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Mine would close hard but would not open without me helping the door along.

Quick test: disconnect the door from the electric motor via the red handled pull cable. If you have a hard time lifting the door without motor assist, then it is a busted spring. The garage door tech told me the new style springs (which I have) only last about 10,000 cycles or around 5-7 years!

BTW, once they replaced the spring, the door was much quieter! biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
I had this problem and fixed it. The two sensors on either side of door, check the wiring. I think two wires going to each. Could be as simple as corroded or you hit one sensor and its not lined up with the other. If that is not it, then one of those thin wires could be broken inside the sheath and then you will need to replace the wires. I hope its only corrosion or you broke a wire at a sensor. Check to see if the red light on the sensor is blinking or steady. Hope this helps, call the help desk of who made the opener, they can walk you through it.
Good luck.
7TPorsh
thanks for ALL your help. it helps me narrow things down.

Turns out there are two sensors up top of the rail that sense open and close limits.

The top back one was corroded a little and stuck touching ground. So the motor always thought the door is open.

Air compressor and a little bending got the motor working right again.
SUNAB914
Good deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.