Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how the budget gets out of control
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
stainless, no more rust, never have to buy again.

kevin
ChrisReale
Where you buy? tacoma screw?
rhodyguy
McClendons, 2 miles from my house. they fit the holes just right. but they are too wide for the gaskets. damn.

kevin
Lawrence
Very nice bolts.

Someone was advising me to not use stainless bolts when putting my rocker panels back on. They said that the difference between two different metals (stainless and the car's own steel) would cause corrosion.

Any chemists out there that can confirm or deny that?

-Rusty
vortrex
e) Contact corrosion
Contact corrosion is a very common form of corrosion that develops when metallic materials with different electrochemical potentials physically touch each other in the presence of an electrolyte. In this situation, the lower-grade metall will be attacked by the electrolyte and will go into solution. The extend of the corrosion depends on the strength of the current in this galvanic cell.
We encounter contact corrosion very often. A commonly known example is the connection between steel and stainless steel flanges.
Contact corrosion is also common when cast flanges are attached with stainless steel screws.
Contact corrosion can be prevented or reduced by insulating the metals at the points of contact, by keeping electrolytes away from the metals (move contact areas into dry environments), through constructive measures that avoid contact between cathode areas and very large anode areas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.