05-22-2012

I have a 1972 Porsche / VW 914 for sale. It is a 914 Porsche; many parts are VW produced.
Mid Engine Vehicle
It is smog exempt, and it is registered through December (2012).
Originally equipped with fuel injection, this has the original 1.7L air-cooled opposed-four cylinder engine set up with Weber carburetors.
Their is special aftermarket linkage installed for that. And this is a fairly common modification.
I believe the camshaft was also changed, and a low pressure fuel pump was fitted.
I only have some records for the car.
It is a two door with the removable top (stowes in the rear trunk).
Clean carpet and full size spare wheel in the
forward trunk.
It has a Five-forward+reverse(6) speed manual shift gearbox.

Overall the car is in fair shape with no major dents or damage. There is a cracked turn signal lense and there is some
corrosion of the body. The interior is a bit rough.
This car should have a through going through to keep it on the road for many years to come;
it is in overall safe and restorable condition now.

The car was given to me as a project; I have to move and would like to not have to find a space for the car.
It will start up and run. It can be driven a bit (it is insured). It seems to have a fuel flow problem (my guess).
I was told that the car had been running fine and then puttered out on a normal commute. It seems to go about a mile or so
and then really have trouble staying going; the gas pedal has to pumped to keep it going.

I removed the fuel tank, fuel check valve, fuel pump, fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel lines up to the carburetors.
There was a bit of paper element floating in the fuel tank (I'm fairly sure I got it all out); the tank was in very nice shape otherwise.
The check valve and fuel pump were both checked for flow, and I replaced the fuel filter. The old filter looked okay when I cut it open.

I have Not removed the carburetors yet; I have not checked on several things since I got the car.
The spark plugs have not been out yet.
The fluid levels have been checked are are in nice condition.

The tires are all in nice condition with lots of tread, and the brakes work well.

These cars are collectable; I have seen just the striped out bodys listed for the price
I am asking. I am motivated to sell the car within the month.

It has a clear title in my name.
I uploaded photos at:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/kazamkazam/914/

You can see that one of the carburetors is missing a cover of some type: parts should be available.
That may or may not be the problem.
Also, the tachometer drive cable has to be replaced.
Their is a bulb out at the tail lights.
That's all that comes to mind

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
View the full article

THIS IS NOT A 914WORLD AD!
Do not reply to this thread! No one is listening!

Click on the "View the full article" link above to go to the actual Ad!