Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Marine Clean Treatment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
For the folks that have done the Marine Clean treatment to their fuel tank, what did you use to cover the top and bottom openings after poring in the cleaning solution and water?

Thanks,

John
tod914
You can use Gorrila tape. The solution might stain the paint abit. If you don't want to touch up the paint, be sure to have the garden hose handy.
r3dplanet
I recently did mine. Gorilla tape didn't work. Neither did aluminum tape, duct tape, etc. On the two output ports, I used black rubber plugs I picked up from Ace Hardware from the fasteners section. Just shoved them in as hard I could and this worked quite well. On the large openings up top, I used something else I found at the hardware store in the plumbing section. I don't know the name of it but its sort of a rubber doughnut sandwiched in plastic with a bolt and wingnut through the center. Center the doughnut, tighten the wing nut, and it expands the rubber to form a very tight seal. So tight in fact that you could potentially warp the metal. Be careful. Measure the holes first. You'll need two.

tod914
On the metal pipes I left on a small section of fuel line and plugged it. If the tape goes onto a dry surface, it will work fine. I only used the tape on the top openings of the tank. Eventually it will fail, but should stay on there long enough to do the job.
Krieger
Two flat pieces of aluminum 1/8" plate with holes drilled for the bolts. Then use the old gaskets. Plugged fuel line for the bottom/lines out.
shuie
Is Marine Clean included in the POR tank restoration kit?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(shuie @ May 22 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Is Marine Clean included in the POR tank restoration kit?

Yes.
porschefile2010
I've done it. I think Krieger(Andy) has the answer. Tape eventually came unstuck. It's good if you can make sure of a really good seal so you can get on with the cleaning without worrying about whether the tape will stick or not.
Also when you come to do the POR make sure the gauze sock is out.
Good luck. It's an amazing product.
Nozzle
Thanks for all the good ideas folks. I think I'll try the plate and stock gasket idea and see how that works.
JStroud
QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ May 22 2012, 04:51 PM) *
On the large openings up top, I used something else I found at the hardware store in the plumbing section. I don't know the name of it but its sort of a rubber doughnut sandwiched in plastic with a bolt and wingnut through the center. Center the doughnut, tighten the wing nut, and it expands the rubber to form a very tight seal.

Those are called test plugs, used for temporarily sealing plumbing pipe to test for leaks.
Seems these would work great and be easier than making a plate.

Jeff
PanelBilly
I used the test plugs on mine and some small black rubber plugs in the 2 fuel line holes. Worked great. Still have the test plugs. Don't know what else they'll ever be good for!
kwlane

I made plates out of 1/4 plywood has sitting around and used gaskets from tank. That worked pretty well, little leakage but not a lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.