Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: power for cb fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
is it possible to run a wire to a keyed power source on the relay in the engine compartment? if so which one? or is there a better way? fuse panel in interior need not apply. the pump only has one wire coming in, fused link, the ground simply connects to chassis.

kevin
Brad Roberts
Run it off the original wires. The OE fuel pump is fused an relay'd.

You'll need one small jumper wire on the relay board so the fuel pump relay thinks the injection brain is in place.

I saw where youre pump was mounted.. its about 4 inches away from the factory wires.

B
rhodyguy
brad, here's the board, where do i insert the jumper wire?

kevin
Brad Roberts
I'm going to reply.. only to let you know that I have seen this..

I need to look at the manuel (I dont put carbs on cars very often)

I'll give you the general idea...

B
Brad Roberts
I need to speak with you more about the silver you used in the engine compartment.

B
Brad Roberts
Basically you need to power the wire that goes down to the pump.

One of those 4 injection brain male spades is powered on when you turn the key on. Jump this to the correspoding pin in that relay holder for the pump.

The brain relay will now become your fuel pump relay.

B
Brad Roberts
Another way to do it..

Use the heat lever in the car to turn on ground for the fuel pump relay. I have used this in the past as a theft deterrent. Shut the lever down when your getting close to destination (which runs the carbs dry) and turn the car off. If somebody tries to steal it... the car will only start/sputter then die... getting them nowhere.

B
Gint
I wish I had a picture, but I don't. My first 914 (74 1911 [former l-Jet]) had Webers installed. I can't remember where I found this tidbit, but it was way cool. Basically you leave the fuel pump relay installed, and jumper the switched terminal Brad pointed out to one (and I don't remember which, you'll have to get out the diagram) of the other of the 4 terminals. Worked like a champ.
Dave_Darling
Leave the "FI Power Relay" (as Haynes calls it) installed. Plug a female spade terminal into the right-front pin of that four-pin connector on the left-rear of the relay board. Use that wire to power the pump. The pump will run any time there is power going to the coil.

--DD
rhodyguy
dave, perfect. saved me way much time and worry.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.