Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine & Tranny mating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
Well, this go around the mating of the tranny and the motor just ain't cooperating. I licked it last time, see page 5 of this thread, but this time it keeps kicking my ass. headbang.gif headbang.gif

Anyone got any words of wisdom or tricks of the trade to make this go easier? popcorn[1].gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 23 2012, 06:08 AM) *

Well, this go around the mating of the tranny and the motor just ain't cooperating. I licked it last time, see page 5 of this thread, but this time it keeps kicking my ass. headbang.gif headbang.gif

Anyone got any words of wisdom or tricks of the trade to make this go easier? popcorn[1].gif

Admin, please delete! I posted a new thread unintentionally!
Dave_Darling
Where is the old thread, then?

The main thing that has caused trouble for me in getting the engine and trans together is the input shaft splines. Putting the trans in gear, and then rotating the output flanges (the same direction as each other) will rotate the input shaft, which can help line the splines up to the splines in the clutch disk.

--DD
stephenaki
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 23 2012, 08:38 AM) *

Where is the old thread, then?

The main thing that has caused trouble for me in getting the engine and trans together is the input shaft splines. Putting the trans in gear, and then rotating the output flanges (the same direction as each other) will rotate the input shaft, which can help line the splines up to the splines in the clutch disk.

--DD

Dave,
I thought I had hit 'add reply' and inadvertently hit, 'new thread'! Dangit! Anyhoo, I think I did something similar before will give it another try tomorrow.
Cupomeat
If you are having a hard time getting them to mate, try soft music and some alcohol.
happy11.gif
aharder
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 23 2012, 12:57 PM) *

If you are having a hard time getting them to mate, try soft music and some alcohol.
happy11.gif

agree.gif alcohol always helps me beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(aharder @ May 23 2012, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 23 2012, 12:57 PM) *

happy11.gif

agree.gif alcohol always helps me beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Blah, blah, blah, blah... dry.gif I think I'LL TRY THE BEER INSTEAD! Suckers still giving me a headache! Been at it for about an hour, part of the problem is its hard to see what is going on.

Taking a break but she is hanging up on something, just not sure what. headbang.gif Shoulda told the wife to pick me up some scotch while she was at Gebauers... beer3.gif I think I'll go and hunt down my surefire and see if that will shed enough light for me to see what the issue is. Frustrating as all hell!
rwilner
A friend of mine with a 911 used to put dry ice on the trans input shaft to "shrink" it before mating it to the engine. This is similar to the techniques used to put the gears on the crank.

Seems a little out there to me but if you're going crazy might be worth a try.
vwlurch
make sure that the clutch is alighned properly with the tool maybe lossen it all up and center it again ?

good luck
Valy
QUOTE(vwlurch @ May 24 2012, 08:47 AM) *

make sure that the clutch is alighned properly with the tool maybe lossen it all up and center it again ?

good luck

agree.gif
Loosen the clutch pressure plate a bit and fit the transmission in place.
Take it apart and tighten the clutch plate. Then re-fit the transmission.

You may also check that the clutch disk is mounted in the right orientation. You can mount it the other way around and close everything.
Ask me how I know...
slothness
QUOTE(Valy @ May 24 2012, 10:20 AM) *

good luck

agree.gif

You may also check that the clutch disk is mounted in the right orientation. You can mount it the other way around and close everything.
Ask me how I know...

Yup, I just dealt with the same thing. Make sure the clutch alignment tool slides in and out without resistance. The first time I aligned it, it required a nice tug to come out. The second time I put the disc smack in the center where the tool freely moved without tugging, and wallah, mating season.
Dr Evil
I never have an issue with this confused24.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 24 2012, 06:48 PM) *

I never have an issue with this confused24.gif

Cause your a tranny god(dess) there mikey boy! laugh.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(slothness @ May 24 2012, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ May 24 2012, 10:20 AM) *

good luck

agree.gif

Ask me how I know...

Yup, I just dealt with the same thing. Make sure the clutch alignment tool slides in and out without resistance. The first time I aligned it, it required a nice tug to come out. The second time I put the disc smack in the center where the tool freely moved without tugging, and wallah, mating season.

Sounds like I may have done the same thing as the alignment tool does not slide in easily. Will tackle that first and see what happens, thanks for all the recommendations gents. And Mike, you don't get to comment, you can probably do this shit in your sleep! pray.gif
stephenaki
OK, so I pulled the pressure plate and the clutch disc off. Took the disc and lined it up, snout facing the transmission, and she won't go on. Flipped the disc, snout facing the motor, and she slides on without a problem... WTF.gif

Ya can't mount the clutch disc with the snout towards the motor, physically impossible so why in the hell won't she slide on with the disc aligned properly? Am I missing something? I did this before so why in the hell is it not working now??? headbang.gif headbang.gif
Mike Bellis
Did you slide just the disk on the main shaft? Maybe it's boogered up?
slothness
Do you have any recent picks of the disk? The only one I found was from your progress thread in 2008 and it kinda looks like the snout is facing toward the engine.

Fortunately I had a new clutch which stated engine side and trans side so there was no possibility for a mix up.

Click to view attachment
Valy
QUOTE(stephenaki @ May 25 2012, 03:49 AM) *

OK, so I pulled the pressure plate and the clutch disc off. Took the disc and lined it up, snout facing the transmission, and she won't go on. Flipped the disc, snout facing the motor, and she slides on without a problem... WTF.gif

Ya can't mount the clutch disc with the snout towards the motor, physically impossible so why in the hell won't she slide on with the disc aligned properly? Am I missing something? I did this before so why in the hell is it not working now??? headbang.gif headbang.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
stugray
Here is a pic of how the clutch plate looks in place:

IPB Image

The "snout" that he speaks of must point outward (away from the engine), it cannot be turned around or you would never get the pressure plate on..

So the clutch plate needs to be able to slide smoothly over the tranny spindle when it is all disassembled with the "snout" facing towards the tranny.

Stu
Katmanken
Troubleshooting: step by step

Remove the clutch disk

Try placing the clutch disk onto the tranny shaft. If it doesn't go on easily, you may have a wrong clutch disk assembly with the wrong spline spacing. Not the first time that's happened and rebuilding facilities sometimes use the wrong core and rivet on new clutch material.

Can you shove the alignment tool into the center opening in the clutch disk in the orientation shown in the pic ? Should have the same same success/failure as the tranny shaft.

If you can easily fit the clutch disk onto the tranny shaft but can't fit the alignment tool far enough into the flywheel hole, your problem is there.

Hope that helps
stephenaki
So, as one can see by the pictures, as was requested, the disc fits with the snout facing the motor but doesn't the other way around which is the correct positioning.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
As you can see by this close up, I think maybe the tines are boogered up? Maybe in my overzealous attempts to get the two components to mate I created this issue which is the only logical explanation. It fit before so I must have messed it up along the way, guess I'll be buying me another disc. blink.gif

I think I'll go with the cheap $81 disc as I just need it up and running. I'll swap her out with a better set up when I do the complete resto after I get back stateside. Hopefully, the disc will be here by the time we get back from out Scotland vacation. I could have gotten a disc right away here in Deutchland however, they wanted 300 friggin euros at the Porsche dealership! WTF.gif

euro911
Try hitting it lightly with a small triangular file, just enough to knock down any burrs.
stephenaki
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 25 2012, 11:35 PM) *

Try hitting it lightly with a small triangular file, just enough to knock down any burrs.

Did that yesterday, no dice. I think I have exhausted all options at this point, ordered a new disc this morning.
Katmanken
Stephen,

Give us a closeup pic of the of the splined hole in the snout side of the clutch disk. I can see the side that goes onto the shaft has a few slight booger marks, but I'm betting the snout side is where the problem is.

stephenaki
QUOTE(Katmanken @ May 26 2012, 07:43 AM) *

Stephen,

Give us a closeup pic of the of the splined hole in the snout side of the clutch disk. I can see the side that goes onto the shaft has a few slight booger marks, but I'm betting the snout side is where the problem is.

Been on leave; currently in Nairn, Scotland so I can't get any pics at the moment. I concur that the snout is the problem but, rather than screw around anymore, I just ordered a new disc. confused24.gif

I'll get a close up shot when I get back on Monday and then, if anyone is interested, someone can have the old disc if they think they can fix the issue and use it. You'll just have to pay for shipping. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.