Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Superman Has Died
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Real-Life Fighter Christopher Reeve Dies

1 hour ago

By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer

MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. - Christopher Reeve, the chiseled, strapping "Superman" of celluloid who became another kind of hero as a force for spinal cord research after a devastating horse-riding accident, has died at 52.

Reeve, a quadriplegic for the last nine years of his life who vowed that he would one day walk again, died Sunday of complications from an infection caused by a bedsore.
skline
They usually come in 3's. First Rodney Dangerfield and now Christopher Reeve, He died on Sunday by the way, too bad too, I have always been a big Superman fan. It was a great loss. I wonder who the next one will be?
smg914
quote: I wonder who the next one will be?
It was Ken Caminiti
skline
Who is that? I dont think I have ever heard of him. Elaborate for me please.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 11 2004, 10:14 PM)
Who is that? I dont think I have ever heard of him. Elaborate for me please.

Ken Caminiti was a major league baseball player for 17yrs.

He started & ended with the Houston Astros, he also played for Texas, Atlanta
and the San Diego Padres, where he won the MVP of the league in 1996
playing for the Padres.

Caminiti last year stated that he had taken steriods in his MVP year, '96.
Ken also lived a VERY hard life, being additicted to both Cocaine & Alcohol.

I *think* Caminiti was 41yrs young.

Ken Caminiti died from a heart attack.

Former teammates said Ken had a Huge Heart, was a nice guy, that he just
had some inner-personal demons.

Rest in Peace Ken.
Red-Beard
I never got over him kissing that guy in the movie he did right after Superman. Some weird, gay lover, guilty, murderer movie. icon8.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 11 2004, 10:28 PM)
I never got over him kissing that guy in the movie he did right after Superman. Some weird, gay lover, guilty, murderer movie. icon8.gif

same gayness happened with bob crane on hogans heroes sad.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 11 2004, 09:05 PM)
quote: I wonder who the next one will be?  
It was Ken Caminiti

Caminiti died? Man that is almost as bad as Reeve dying. Both are a loss.

I saw Christopher Reeve speak at DeAnza College a few years back. I was straight in front of him about 20 rows from the stage. Because he could not move his head I felt like he was looking straight at me the whole evening. He was upbeat and positive about his chances to walk again but his gaze effected me.

Caminiti was a very strong and influential baseball player. If the drug and steroid things are true then the story needs to be shown to every high school athelete.

-Jeff
MattR
Ive heard stories caminiti was so badly injured from playing ball so hard he had to resort to crack to keep the pain away. Similar to kurt cobain. Its too bad. The media turns these guys out to be villans when really they're just in need of medicinal crack...smoke.gif

But seriously, he was a very good ball player with a lotta heart was one of the best intimidators right next to randy johnson and bob gibson.

And yes, he was 41.
scruz914
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 11 2004, 10:54 PM)
But seriously, he was a very good ball player with a lotta heart was one of the best intimidators right next to randy johnson and bob gibson.

And yes, he was 41.

Best thing I have ever heard from Dodger fan. biggrin.gif (Sorry, Giants fan here.) With all of the rivalries, the bottom line is baseball and the players.

Peace.

-Jeff
EdwardBlume
It just reminds us how precious life is and why we love 914s. Its all about the ride and building / maintaining something that works. Oh yeah, and having something to talk about with you guys!!!!!!1

I'll miss Rodney I really will, I regret that Superman didn't walk too, and its sad to hear of a ball player that rises to the top, only to fall... way too soon.
MattR
I still dont like giants fans, but its okay if you dont hate me. lol.

I love the rivarly. Its great for baseball, and I think the rivarly is the best in professional sports (uh no... im not biased). The only Giant I can tolerate is barry bonds because he is so fricken talented, and he actually got in a fight with Jeff Kent-evil for bashing one of his teammates... a standup guy no matter what the papers say!

I saw Rodney Dangerfield on Jimmy Kimmel a few months ago and he looked bad... even beer has an expiration date.
Root_Werks
I'm the age where Superman was my hero throughout the Superman movies. These last years I followed him closer than ever reading article after article about his successes after his injury. It humbled me and sometimes made me stop and think about how grateful I am for being able to run, let alone walk. With all the hard driving most of us do, something like this could easily happen to anyone. Would I have the same drive Superman did had something like this happened to me? I would hope so.

Superman will always be just that to me from my childhood to my present adult life now.

RIP Superman sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.