Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittant stumble solved
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drken
Just thought I'd post up a solution to a problem i was having for quite some time. Might save somebody else the time needed to go throught the same hassles.
Anyway, I have a '74 2.0 liter with stock Djet injection. I had a problem with a frequent stumble, like a miss, that would happen when cruising down highway, especially at any steady speed. I went throught the necessary steps of checking timing, adjusting valves, checking ohms at every relevant connector I could think of, etc. No luck. Replaced throttle position sensor circuit board. No luck. Eventually, borrowed a few important parts to swap out one at a time. No change. headbang.gif I hooked up a wideband O2 sensor, and got one decent clue: the A/F ratio was going "rich" briefly when I felt the stumble. Through checking online, an ignition miss should show up as "lean", so I tentatively ruled out ignition fault.
A call to Brad Mayeur provided the right place to look. He mentioned that sometimes the "ball contact" at the end of the metallic finger that rides on the curved throttle position switch circuit board track can sometimes wear "flat" so it contacts a larger spot than desired. I took off the TPS to check this, and found that my problem was similar, but different. In my case, the metallic "finger" was twisted just enough to allow contact along its edge, in addition to the ball contact point. A gentle twist to straighten it, and a quick test drive verified the fix! piratenanner.gif Smooth as butter since!
Strange thing is, I tried unplugging the TPS a few times earlier in my diagnosis, and still had issues. However, I can only assume that maybe there were other problems that got fixed or improved along the way that may have been causing poor steady RPM running even with the TPS disconnected.
Anyway, tons of thanks to Brad for his help in solving this mystery!

Ken
Cupomeat
cheer.gif Good for you!
markb
thumb3d.gif
Krieger
Wow. Good job. That is definitely a tough one to find.
drken
Thanks! Kudos to Brad for sniffing this one out. I had searched many times online to no avail, so I hope that anyone having a similar problem finds the fix more quickly now.

Ken
76-914
Good one. And thanks for sharing. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.