Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement Stereo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Here's my idea:

Mount a vintage 8-track player in the proper spot.

Mount a CD/MP3/Stereo player in the glovebox, and extend the wires a little bit to hook it up there. Get a unit that uses a remote control.

Comments, BTDTs, suggestions?

-Rusty
vortrex
people crash all the time for fiddling with stereos, especially ones in hard and strange to reach spots, I did! biggrin.gif

why not just a removable face plate or one with a security chip in it?
anthony
In the current episode of "My Classic Car" on the Speed channel they do a remote stereo install. I think it's a pretty common thing on older classic cars where the stereo is integrated in to the dash.
Bleyseng
There still might be a few cassette players around that are set up to play the trunk remote players that hold 10 CDs.
Who wants a cassette player? no one.....
Geoff
airsix
Quicksilver Audio here in Kennewick WA had a 914 as their demo/stereo-competition car years ago. It had a hidden stereo head unit - hidden IN the DASH! It looked like a plain basketweave dash front with no stereo until you turned on the key and then a piece of the dash front folded up like a little garage door and the head unit moved forward into possition. Way to much work to fab something like that, but it was cool, and when the key was off you could not tell that the car had a stereo (they did a great job of hiding the 16 door speakers, 5 dash speakers and 4 12" subs. I kid you not).

-Ben M.
Lawrence
A cassette player is an idea.. but if I'm going to go with something basically unusable, I'd rather go very 70s.

I agree about the driver distraction issue. The real stereo spot less than driver-friendly. Therefore, I would have to get a remote. smile.gif

MP3 capable would be a must. I like to do long trips in my 914, and pulling over to change CDs wouldn't work. Nor do I want to invest in a CD changer stashed elsewhere in the car.

Thanks for the tips!

-Rusty
anthony
One of these would be easy to add:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-s3idu...10&I=130FM687++
ChrisReale
I bought a Blaupunkt cd player at Costco for $120. Detachable face, optional remote control also. Works for me, but I rarely remove the face
vortrex
how you gonna change tapes/CD's with the remote though? that's how I ended up off the road. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
i believe it was tweeks where i saw a vintage "knobbed" style radio that worked a changer out in a trunk. pretty neat stuff. big buck$$$. "someone has to pay for the nice catalogs" someone on the list said that
Qarl
A frined of mine epozied razor blades and broken shards of glass on the backside of his stereo. That way, when the thieves tried to push the stereo out from behind, they got a nice "friendly" reminder of why they shouldn't be stealing stereos.

If you have vinyl seats this would work. The blood should wipe off easily.

Are your seats and carpeting black, even better?

Modern DNA testing could help track down the perps!

Good luck!

Regards,

Karl
Jeffs9146
Music Keg

Plug and play with any newer Kenwood deck and will work with any FM radio with an an FM modulator!! No vibration skip!!

Jeff
Lawrence
how you gonna change tapes/CD's with the remote though? that's how I ended up off the road.

That's what them new-fangled MP3s are for... hours and hours of music - no skips or disk changes. smile.gif

-Rusty

I *like* the razor blade idea. devil.gif
tahoward
I worked with a guy that did the razor blade thing. Sold the car and forgot to tell the new owner...several stitches and nearly a lawsuit after a friend of his was hurt trying to help him replace the radio. Be careful out there...its only a radio.
jfort
i too need to add a sound system of some kind. i've been thinking about an amp in the trunk and an apple ipod plus its snap-in tuner. holds plenty of music and i can use it elsewhere. i just don't know if the "speaker out" on an ipod is the right signal strength to go into an amp. may need a preamp of some kind. anyone thought about this?
Aaron Cox
neat idea.
why not get one of those XM satelite radio thingys. they have some that have removable "tuners" that plug into a set of speakers for home use and a car application that it plugs into.
David_S
Back when I was in school, some of the other kids used to "pick on other people" my messing with their vehicles. A couple of us decided to "pick back" one weekend by making sure that we parked our vehicles in a puddle of water, usually only 1 or 2 inches deep. Then we would take an old extension cord, cut the end off of it, and put one end in the water, and hook the other end to the chassis. Didn't take too long for them to quit messing with everyone elses rides! It wouldn't hurt them, but it was enough to scare the $hit out of them!!!!!
Jeffs9146
I used to have someone siphoning gas from a VW Thing that I owned. So, I hooked up an electric fence to the bumper! devil.gif Never lost another ounce of gas!! beer.gif

Jeff
Lawrence
I worked with a guy that did the razor blade thing. Sold the car and forgot to tell the new owner...several stitches and nearly a lawsuit after a friend of his was hurt trying to help him replace the radio. Be careful out there...its only a radio.

How could someone forget a boobytrap on their own car? blink.gif

-Rusty
tryan
the fm modulator cd hook up degrades the signal to noise ratio down to the fm specs of the tuner. not a big deal, but something to think about.
Matt914MI
I am thinking about making a removable stereo center console unit. It would just be for long trips, and have probably a stereo and 4 speakers in it. I only listen to music on long trips. Before I do this though, I think I'll get the car able to drive.
Jeffs9146
[QUOTE]the fm modulator cd hook up degrades the signal to noise ratio down to the fm specs of the tuner. not a big deal, but something to think about.[QUOTE]

It's a 914, the Signal to noise ratio is already degraded! But, you are right if you are driving in a sound proof booth!

Jeff
driver66
driving.gif A GOOD RUNNING 914, MAKES ITS OWN MUSIC. [heard that somewhere] BUT THEN AGAIN THE TUNES ARE WAY DOWN ON MY LIST OF PRIORITIES.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.