Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pay Pal site crashed today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
Have been having problems with Pay Pal working since Friday, James called them this morning and I guess the system completely went down this morning. Over 90% of transactions have been stopped due to system failure. They have been having problems since Friday, and they have no Idea when the problem will be fixed, because they have no Idea what it is.

Screw pay pal, i'm getting a credit card/EFT business accout through someone else(that is less expensive), and Pay Pal can bite me.

Hiedi
Martin Baker
I stopped using it quite awhile ago, they take to much money from the transaction in my opinion. Great if you are the buyer, not so great when you are the seller.

stones.gif
morph
They do take a lot in fees, but since I pay them a lot of money, I expect exceptional service, not this crap!, Sorry, I'm pissed.

Hiedi
Jeroen
Figures... Andy's been working to get the e-commerce site working with paypal happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 12 2004, 10:04 AM)
Figures... Andy's been working to get the e-commerce site working with paypal happy11.gif

ahhhh, i crashed their servers !!!!

j/k, i didn't do it!
rolleyes.gif Andy
GTeener
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 12 2004, 09:00 AM)
I stopped using it quite awhile ago, they take to much money from the transaction in my opinion. Great if you are the buyer, not so great when you are the seller.

stones.gif

agree.gif

Call me naive, but I had no idea they charged fees for their service. Duh! blink.gif

But I guess credit card companies charge merchants up to 6% for transactions too. It is handy when it works though!

~Gwen
seanery
They've been doing a new look. I bet someone didn't try hard enough to break it during beta.

It's been a bear for me to log-in and transfer the shirt $ into real money. headbang.gif
anthony
How many times has their site been down since you started using Paypal? I think your expectations for uptime are unreasonable.

AFAIK, Paypal fees are on par with other credit card processors. If you can find lower rates though then go for it.
morph
We have found lower rates, but pay pal is convenient and easy to use for our customers. This is the first time I've experienced this type of problem with pay pal, they shut down for maintenence sometimes and that isn't a problem.

Hiedi
anthony
It's all a trade-off between price and convenience. I usually pass on items on ebay when the seller doesn't take paypal. I've always been leary when sellers want me to go to some third party check out site and enter my credit card info.
morph
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 12 2004, 10:24 AM)
It's all a trade-off between price and convenience. I usually pass on items on ebay when the seller doesn't take paypal. I've always been leary when sellers want me to go to some third party check out site and enter my credit card info.

agree.gif I pass on most items that don't take Pay Pal as well, but you would be surprised at how many people just e-mail ther credit card info and tell us to bill it to the card.
Qarl
How many times has their site been down since you started using Paypal? I think your expectations for uptime are unreasonable.

Paypal processed $12 billion dollars last year...

To be down for four days is inacceptable, considering their are over 50 million users that are signed up with it.

Assuming $12 billion dollars per year (with equal daily buying distribution), that's nearly $33 million per day. If they get 2 percent... they're losing about $650K per day in commissions...

Not to mention the businesses that can't sell and ship because they can't accept or confirm payment.

It's call redundancy and backup plans. If the new software flops, they should be able to flip a switch and turn back to the old interface.

What if you were unable to access your bank account for 4 days because the bank's computers were down?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 12 2004, 11:50 AM)
What if you were unable to access your bank account for 4 days because the bank's computers were down?

has happened to me, it's called "Wells Fargo Customer Service" ... icon8.gif

*only* cost me a permanent negative entry on my credit report ...
headbang.gif Andy
Engman
Well now we know - it's Andy's fault laugh.gif All this ecomm programming and he has found a way bring down their site!

This really sucks - I hate the fees they charge but the fee on a cc account is also up there. Many peole like to use them due to the buyer protection. They have ben like 100% up until now - maybe we can get Andy to fix it!

M
i love porsche
ah ok...thats why i cant pay qarl...when will it be back up?
morph
i wont bank with banks anymore.
my credit union will go out of there way to help you.
they are now looking into a way to take payments,directly into one of my accounts.
if i was still with us bank,they woulda told me its not there problem.
if anything this taught me to have my own back up system.
while my wife was paceing the kitchen this mournin with her coffie.i was on the phone finding out wtf was going on,since they have no idea when they will be up again.i have to find a way move money in and out,the only thing i cant do is obtain buyer info off there site.when they come back up im importing it all off there site to my own computers. im not happy about them bieng down but ill be running by this afternoon.ive learned not to be so dependant on one system.i learn from things happening i allways find good in things,now b4 i break into a f**king smurf song i got things i got to do.
james
ps i will stay with them pay pal is a good system,and is great when its working.and most people understand it and can use it.and btw if you have atm/debt cards,business cards or a mastercard though them there working now.(well at least mine are )
Engman
yep - it is up again - little slow but running.

Mark
SLITS
And I suppose from this thread that no one's computer ever crashes - jeeeeeezzzzzzz!

It's the Kraut's fault. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.