Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repairing a slipping clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Gentlemen:

I'm trying to get a feel for how much repairing the slipping clutch in my '76 914 would cost.
I have not looked into it in any great detail yet, but I'm sure I'll need to replace clutch, seals, cable, etc., basically, the whole mess (based on a little searching). It's not slipping too badly, but my son and I almost got run over by a dickhead in a huge SUV while I was trying to get up a hill with the clutch slipping. Pretty scary!

Can anyone give me a rough idea as to how much it might cost to do the repair correctly myself?
Any idea of hours to complete would be helpful too.

I'm trying to decide which project I'm gonna work on this winter. It's between fixing the slipping clutch on my 914 or putting my rebuilt engine into my '71 BMW 2002. I think I know what answer I'll get from this board!

To be honest, it'll probably come down to cost. I still need to get some Webers and eventually a 5 speed tranny for the 2002, so I'm thinking the 914 repair might be cheaper?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy...
Aaron Cox
clutch cable adjusted??? blink.gif
ArtechnikA
at Pelican, for example is a Complete Clutch Kit ~$350 without flywheel, $565 with new flywheel. if your flywheel needs resurfacing (and it may be nonnegotiable if you let it slip much longer...) it's important that you have it done by a machine shop that KNOWS the specifications.

this is an example - others may have equivalent, or better, package deals. shop around, but this is a pretty good list of what you need if nothing else.

obviously the trade-money-for-time approach is getting everything in one box. you do not have to pull the engine or transmission (but you do have to SUPPORT the engine...) for this task but it's sometimes easier for the inexperienced to do so. judgement call.

all the stuff called out in that kit - the oil seals and such - are there because history has shown that they really should be done while you have everything out and accessible or you will regret it later.

donno what issues you have with the BMW, but as you've seen, a slippy clutch can be a safety-compromising condition, and if you let it go on too long will just wind up costing you more.

if you haven't done it before i'd budget a weekend; someone who's done a few can probably finish it up in an afternoon.
736conver
Andy,

I can get you a good deal on the clutch kit if you want. i sent you a pm

Brian
type47
... and if you decide to do the clutch yourself, you can save some work by realizing that you can drop the tranny alone if you don't mind working under the car on the engine still installed....
joea9146
You should be able to drop just the tranny in less than an hour depends on the amount of rust you have to deal with on the CV bolts
914zim
Thanks guys for the replies.
I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping because my 914 sat for 4 years without being started and the seals are dried up, allowing oil to get on the clutch disk. Does this sound right?
I didn't realize that continuing to run it like it is could cause damage to the flywheel, but it makes sense I guess.
Since this would be a winter project, I'm not in a big hurry to get it done. As long as it was driveable come spring (May). I definately will not be driving it on the WI winter roads (salt). The cost is probably biggest reason to do the 914, especially if it'll cost around $350. I'm sure the 2002 project would be more money and more time as well.
To tell the truth, I kinda wanted to do the 914 repair first (over 2002 engine swap) anyway since I'm really enjoying the 914, but the 2002 project has been sitting for 2 years now. The 914 sort of fell in my lap last summer and I've been spending most of my time and money on it.

Thanks again guys!
Andy...
McMark
You should be able to do a clutch job in a weekend. With knowledge, about 6 hours. With experience, about 3.5 hours. Make sure you replace the rear main seal on the engine (not a big deal to do).
bob91403
Thanks Mark.
McMark
Um, I've been busy doing life things, like sleeping. I'll reply now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.