Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
When i bought my 14 the PO mentioned the rear suspension (Koni's with 200lbs springs) we're probably shot. Taking the car for its 1st quick spin i noticed the rear was stepping out under power through medium to tight left handers. So loosing grip at quite low speeds.

I'm looking for places to go to get new dampers & springs. Was thinking i need to soften the spring rate 150lbs ish & replace with new dampers.

My goal is a track / AutoX setup.

Sidenote: The front dampers don't have any springs, i see from the haynes manual this is as designed. The torsion bar acts as the spring. Can springs still be added to the front dampers? Is this even a wise idea?
mike_the_man
Lots of places to get new springs and shocks. HPH sells a lot of the Koni Yellows, springs you can get from pretty much anywhere.

It may be that the shocks aren't shot, but that the rear is just too stiff. You could try putting in some softer springs, and if the Koni's are adjustable, soften them up a bit. If the front is mostly stock, and the rear is really stiff, it would induce lots of oversteer, I think.

There's no easy way to put springs in the front, and unless you want a full out race car, it's not needed. If you like you can buy stiffer torsion bars. Although I think a bigger roll-bar would be a good start.

I see you're a fellow UrS4er as well. What are the specifics?
Root_Werks
Check the rear and see if it has a sway bar. Chances are you have two things working against you:

1: Too much dampening
2: Possibly too stiff rear sway bar

Sometimes even having a factory sway bar on a 914 is too much. Depends on your driving and where you drive. My guess is 200lbs is a little stiff for street use, but if you plan on doing mostly track stuff, should be fine. If you have a sway bar, take it off and go play around. You will be surprised at the difference.
Rough_Rider
Rear sway bar is already removed.
Front has a stock sway bar, planning to but a 22mm item on there.

Rear feels exceptionally stiff, i'd better check the bushings etc. Will take the whole lot out & give it a thorough overhall.

I was thinking of using Pelican, Paragon Or HPH for the various parts. Well that is except for stuff which is on the club board. Gotta admit i wouldn't have bought a 14 if this board hadn't existed. Cheers for all your help.

BTW the s4 is mildy tuned @ 300hp ish. Just my everyday sleeper sedan. I wonder how good a tow vehicle it'll make ??
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 12 2004, 11:14 AM)
Was thinking i need to soften the spring rate 150lbs ish & replace with new dampers.
My goal is a track / AutoX setup.

without knowing much about the rest of the setup (like the front),
i think 150lbs in the rear is too soft ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
in comparision, my car (daily driver, some AX) has currently 180lbs in the rear and i need to step up to at least 200lbs as the rear is too soft for me right now ...

but as i said, it depends on the front shocks, torsion bars, sway bar, ride height, tire brand, size and air-pressure, condition of your bushings and a few other things ...

wink.gif Andy
Mueller
I agree with Mike...rear is possibly too stiff, you need a big swaybar set on firm or larger front torsion bars

yes, coil springs can be added to the front to replace the torsion bars, but it is more cost effective to get new torsion bars

can you turn down the stiffness of the Konis? (you should be able to, are they red or yellow?)
watsonrx13
You might also want to check the right rear suspension ear and make sure it's not cracked.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 12 2004, 10:50 AM)
Rear sway bar is already removed.
Front has a stock sway bar, planning to but a 22mm item on there.

Rear feels exceptionally stiff, i'd better check the bushings etc. Will take the whole lot out & give it a thorough overhall.

I was thinking of using Pelican, Paragon Or HPH for the various parts. Well that is except for stuff which is on the club board. Gotta admit i wouldn't have bought a 14 if this board hadn't existed. Cheers for all your help.

BTW the s4 is mildy tuned @ 300hp ish. Just my everyday sleeper sedan. I wonder how good a tow vehicle it'll make ??

Sounds like rear is too stiff and front doesnt have enough swaybar. Adding the 22 mm swaybar and playing with tire pressures should bring you closer to nueteral handling.

You could also try firming up the front dampening if you have Koni yellows.
BatAc
Hear, hear agree.gif with Dr. Watson, check the "ear".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.