Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Flywheel Pins?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brenz
New clutch assembly and new/resurfaced flywheel installed. PO had it done and drove maybe 50 to 100 miles on it.

The flywheel pins are missing. The holes are in the flywheel but the pressure plate is mounted 60 degrees off – see pic.

Red X = correct position of hole in relation to PP position.
Red dot = actual location of hole – under pressure plate.

Everything I read says… if the pressure plate is to be removed and reinstalled then an index mark is made first - so balance is not lost.

So if I remove the pressure plate, add the pins and reinstall the PP using a clutch centering tool, could the assembly end up being unbalanced?

What could happen if I leave as-is and reinstall in my car?

Click to view attachment

LotusJoe
If you rotate the PP 60 degrees then the fly wheel and PP package will no longer be balanced as a unit. I would suggest you remove the fly wheel, add the pins and have them both balanced as a unit. On the other hand if you were doing a clutch and PP plate job you most likely would just slap it in and put the tranny back on. confused24.gif Not sure it will make much difference unless you are doing an engine rebuild. I would install the pins, as they help bear the torque load on the bolts holding the PP to the flywheel
Dave_Darling
What makes you think they are balanced right now?

--DD
brenz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 24 2012, 07:29 PM) *

What makes you think they are balanced right now?

--DD

Good point Dave... I don't. And like LotusJoe said, if I were doing a clutch replacement I might not consider it anyway. But that's my confussion. Seems like if everything is new then there's no talk of balancing. But if anything is removed and reused then it needs to be?
bulitt
Bryan- you might want to call the number on the invoice and ask the mechanic, he may recall the work performed.
Jake Raby
Without those locating dowels the pressure plate will not center. If the pressure plate is not centered perfectly it is impossible to balance.
**an idiot has been here, I'd trust NOTHING that they have done~
brenz
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 24 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Without those locating dowels the pressure plate will not center. If the pressure plate is not centered perfectly it is impossible to balance.

Ok Jake thank you. Fortunately this is all that was done. The shop that did it is too far away from me to be worth calling. What's done is done.

So I'm trying to educate myself here - Should I even attempt removing this assembly, installing the dowels and then assembling using the clutch centering tool the Bird sells?

Or is this strictly a job for a pro?
LotusJoe
QUOTE(brenz @ May 25 2012, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 24 2012, 10:45 PM) *

Ok Jake thank you. Fortunately this is all that was done. The shop that did it is too far away from me to be worth calling. What's done is done.

So I'm trying to educate myself here - Should I even attempt removing this assembly, installing the dowels and then assembling using the clutch centering tool the Bird sells?

Or is this strictly a job for a pro?

Just remove the PP, install the pins. Not a difficult job. Auto Atlanta has the pins for $2.00 each if you can't source them locally. Clutch alignment tool can be had from Pelican for $17.00 IIRC. The engine is out of the car, so the hard work has already been done. Project should take you 20 minutes or 2 beers. beer3.gif
brenz
Just remove the PP, install the pins. Not a difficult job. Auto Atlanta has the pins for $2.00 each if you can't source them locally. Clutch alignment tool can be had from Pelican for $17.00 IIRC. The engine is out of the car, so the hard work has already been done. Project should take you 20 minutes or 2 beers. beer3.gif
[/quote]
Thanks Joe! This will be my plan once I get the dowels and centering tool.
So for now... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.