Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake pedal randomly goes to floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have not driven my car for a few years due to my engine rebuild. I bled my brakes. The brake pedal was hard when pressed however over the next day or so the pedal would creep down very slightly at red lights. I bled the brakes again however it did not help the problem. Now at stop lights sometimes the pedal is hard, sometimes it creeps all the way to the floor. Normally if the pedal starts to creep down, if I let off and reapply the brake, it will be firm- at least for a while.

-Does this sound like a master cylinder problem?
-I have searched and I do not see any brake fluid leaks.
-the brakes have been bled
-I am using stock 914-4 calipers with porterfield pads
- the rears have been properly clearanced
Dave_Darling
On my old Hondas, this exact thing was a symptom of a bad master cylinder. Replacing the MC cured it in both cases.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Yep. Master is bleeding internally
avidfanjpl
Yes, I had one leak on a car. Replace it with the 19MM, and the brakes feel better.

Lots go round and round on 17MM vs. 19MM

I have used both. Go with the 19MM and make sure you get new switches, at the pedal and in the MC. MC usually comes with that switch installed. One on the brakes is a separate part.

John
tornik550
I just got under the car and took out my master cylinder. I never really knew if I had a 19mm or a 17mm MC. My car was modified for autox when I purchased it. The MC only has three marks- ATE 19 and 16. Am I correct in assuming that my MC is a 19mm MC? Also, taking cost into consideration- which is best- rebuild or buy a new one?

mepstein
Mine hit the floor today backing out of the garage. Will take a look in the AM. If the master is bad, Eric Shea will be getting a call. I will probably send him my calipers as well. Rebuilt calipers - yes, rebuilt master - no. I like the 17mm. Little less firm, little more power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.