Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Ciampa
I just purchased my second 914 and am swapping stuff that I want to the new one. My 74 has a 1.8 that was rebuilt by a previous owner... bla bla bla and runs strong. I just bought a 75 1.8 that has not ran in a few years. GOt her home and i a few days i got her running. she lacked alot of power but was not tuned and had valves out of wack. So i was not able to do a compression check and dont really know what condition the new engine is in.
. so... that said... A friend of mine has a kid with a ghia that wants to buy the engine and trans. I want to give them a good deal. what would be a generous but resonable price. a man has got to eat smile.gif

also give me your ideas on this one. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ST&f=18&t=16034
I want these flares gone sometime soon. shameless plug i know. going to hell. ya ya ya. ok thanks.
Root_Werks
The last 1.7 I had I sold for $100. They are also good for door stops, tripping over and setting things on. I opted for the $100 option. biggrin.gif

If it was me and taking up space, $100, if I had a car that needed one, I would pay maybe $300 for the engine and $75 for a good used trans. idea.gif
dmenche914
Two / three hundred for a running engine would be a nice deal for the kid with the Ghia, The Ghia kid will need to spend plenty to convert the engine to fit, It is an expensive thing to do, entire cooling sytem must be converted, flywheel / clutch issues etc... The tranny price depends on side or rear shift. Many want to convert to side shift type, so there is a demand for them, not so much demand for tail shift, hence price difference in general. A good tranny (ie known good) might fetch simualr price as the engine. tail shift core, not worth much, side shift core is worth more.

The tranny is anything but bolt into a Ghia. I think others besides me would be interested in how this person is going to do the ghias engine / tranny swap. swapping the tranny has few advantages, and is more difficult than the engine swap. Since there are plenty of high performance VW tranny stuff at low prices, he should consider beefing up the stock Ghia tranny, or swap to a late bus tranny, which has less conversion issues than the 914 (which turns backwards)

Anyway, hope this helps
Eric_Ciampa
ya i am not sure. I talked to his father (kid is 16) and he said they were looking at some kind of a "kit" for the engine and trans stuff. I hinted that it would be more work then it seems and he assured me that they had an idea. I just feel bad selling something that will only cause trouble for them. but oh well. ya so i am thinking like 600+ for the pair. it is a side shift and the engine will start up fine and run just seems to lack power. anyways thanks for your responce. always can count on you guys. I am going to bed ... maybe not...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.