Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J-ROD
Just got my 914 a few weeks ago and have fallen in love with it. piratenanner.gif Trying to decide if Im going to make it a full blown track car or keep it street legal. Until I can make up my mind I am ordering parts that it needs either way I go. I have been doing a lot of reseach on the 914 as its my first Porsche but not my first air cooled. My car is a 71 with the 1.7... It has a steady leak from the the rod coming out of the trans where the shifter hooks up. I did a google search and found that its a simple fix with replacing the o ring so I call pelican parts and they told me its no longer available for the tail shifter only the side shifter? Does anyone know where I can get one? Also I read somewhere that it isnt a good idea to run synthetic gear oil in these old 914's just wondering why not? And last is anyone running the Weltmeister short shifter? Or does anyone know of a good brand for a fair price? Thanks Jared
mrbubblehead
i have been running synthetic gear oil and engine oil in all of my aircooled cars for years including the 914. i have never had a single lubrication issue.
Dr Evil
Synthetic is not recommended, and cost more for no good benefit.

As for the seal, I think I have one. Contact me to remind me to look for it tomorrow. I know I have use the one form a side shifter in that spot with no problem and I know I have those, but if I have the special tail shift one I can send you that.
mrholland2
Dr. Evil sells the part you need. You can find him here or on club. I have the same issue, but haven't fixed it yet, just checking the lube level weekly and topping up about every two or three weeks. (well, mine is a side shifter, but the same idea)

QUOTE(J-ROD @ May 24 2012, 05:32 PM) *

Just got my 914 a few weeks ago and have fallen in love with it. piratenanner.gif Trying to decide if Im going to make it a full blown track car or keep it street legal. Until I can make up my mind I am ordering parts that it needs either way I go. I have been doing a lot of reseach on the 914 as its my first Porsche but not my first air cooled. My car is a 71 with the 1.7... It has a steady leak from the the rod coming out of the trans where the shifter hooks up. I did a google search and found that its a simple fix with replacing the o ring so I call pelican parts and they told me its no longer available for the tail shifter only the side shifter? Does anyone know where I can get one? Also I read somewhere that it isnt a good idea to run synthetic gear oil in these old 914's just wondering why not? And last is anyone running the Weltmeister short shifter? Or does anyone know of a good brand for a fair price? Thanks Jared

Bleyseng
Use Swepco gear oil and your tranny will love it. The syn oil and the old style syncro's don't mix too well.
Dr Evil
If you use swepco, change it often. Read my notes for my opinion on this product and its lack of necessity.
6freak
Lucas oil 180 weight gear lube.....stopped my leaks ....trans is stiff when cold but butter when warm....havent leaked a drop sence i put it in
smile.gif
Richard Casto
Jered,

welcome.png

It looks like Mike/Dr. Evil is going to be able to hook you up with your seal. Like him, I believe that the same seal works for both the side and tail shifter.

Regarding oil. Any discussion about oil/lubricants ends up being a religious discussion in which you will get all kinds of different opinions. I also am of the opinion that synthetic is not the best for this transmission. The Porsche synchro design relies upon friction to work and it seems that the synthetics are just a bit more slippery than regular dino oil. Additionally I don't think that boutique oils are a requirement and in the long run not cost effective (little or no extra benefit for a lot of extra cost). However, you will find plenty of people who say Swepco is all that you should use. I personally recommend a good name brand 80W90 GL-5 that you would commonly find at a local auto parts store. They are inexpensive and do a great job. Make sure it is GL-5 version!

I also have this transmission lubrication article that you might find helpful. I list a few commonly available oils that I recommend as well as some to avoid.

You ask about short shift kits. I don't know if you are just looking to shorten the throws, improve shift quality or both. But if you haven't heard from someone already, you might first want to examine the various bushings in the shift linkage. If you are looking to ensure shift quality, that is probably the best place to start. Proper clutch adjustment is also good (make sure you can shift into reverse at a stop without any grinding) as well as proper shift linkage adjustment (Mike's transmission notes document has a good section on linkage adjustment).

Good luck and enjoy your 914!

Richard
TheCabinetmaker
I have a short shift that I just pulled out of a car. The owner hated it. I have no personal experience with them, but everyone I know who has had them, removed them.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(6freak @ May 25 2012, 02:52 PM) *

Lucas oil 180 weight gear lube.....stopped my leaks ....trans is stiff when cold but butter when warm....havent leaked a drop sence i put it in
smile.gif

Shit, smooth peanut butter works about the same poke.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 25 2012, 04:00 PM) *

I have a short shift that I just pulled out of a car. The owner hated it. I have no personal experience with them, but everyone I know who has had them, removed them.

I had one installed correctly and everyone, including myself, loved it. That coupled with a properly sorted tranz is a nice combo. If the tranz is not sorted, it only serves to magnify that and speed up the damage.
J-ROD
Thanks everyone for the welcome and all the info. Dr Evil I sent you a PM... Cant wait to spend the long weekend under the new car sawzall-smiley.gif First thing is the throttle cable that came in the mail today. Also going to replace the fuel lines in the engine compartment and later on will tackle the plastic ones in the tunnel. Cant wait to have it ready for a open track day driving.gif
Dr Evil
Replacing that seal on a tail shifter will suck a bit. You have to take the bottom cover off, drive the pin out of the dongle that is on the rod, and then pull the rod out. Install is the reverse. I will give you the seal for the cover for free as I have a lot of them.
6freak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 25 2012, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 25 2012, 02:52 PM) *

smile.gif

Shit, smooth peanut butter works about the same poke.gif

yup ...i could prolly drain it and be ok for a year. laugh.gif sticky stuff for sure ..but it works for me..I will go back to 90 weight after trans rebuild...the lucas was really just an experiment to see if i could get it to stop leaking ...it worked
smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.