Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4lug steel wheel refinishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i have 4 straight 914 offset steel wheels i want to refurbish. i do not want to go the powder coating route. i will clean them and blast the faces. durability of the paint is a factor and i want to come as close to the stock finish as possible. what do i look for? manufacturer and color please. thanks.

k
aircooledtechguy
Why are you against powder coating??

You won't find a more durable finish than powder coating. . . bar-none. It's available in any color of the rainbow.

I spent a bunch of time blasting, priming and painting a set of wheels once only to have the brakes leak a few weeks AFTER the work was done, ruining all my work. headbang.gif

I don't paint ANYTHING I can remove now. Not worth the hassle. . .
rhodyguy
my local p-coater's prices have really skyrocketed. i don't want to spend a fortune. my typical csoab 914 owner penny pinching.

k
rhodyguy
my local p-coater's prices have really skyrocketed. i don't want to spend a fortune. my typical csob 914 owner penny pinching.

k
tod914
I followed Randy's tips who did a stellar job on his 1974 Oly blue. There's a thread somewhere in the Originallity section. But to answer your question use Wurth White Alloy paint - part number 0893 339 006 - u. Perfect match for the steel wheel. Do not use the Wurth silver. That is a metalic paint. 0000 steel wool to very lightly wipe down the wheel once your done and the paint is cured. Then polish & wax. I was amazed how nice mine turned out by useing Randy's method. Hope that helps you out.
rhodyguy
perfect reply. thanks tod.

k
sixnotfour
What has you all 914 inspired ???
rhodyguy
shhh...
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 25 2012, 07:59 AM) *

my local p-coater's prices have really skyrocketed. i don't want to spend a fortune. my typical csoab 914 owner penny pinching.

k

Call your local Les Schwab and see what they charge through their vendor. Mine is $25 a wheel and they have silver as a choice. . . That makes this decision easy. popcorn[1].gif

Katmanken
Put tires on the wheels before you paint them.

Because if you don't, the paint will be soft for about 6 months.
That means when you get your new tires put onto the wheels, a lot of paint will have been scraped off removed by the tire jockey.

Don't ask me how I know. headbang.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 25 2012, 11:07 AM) *

What has you all 914 inspired ???

Someone local bought that one guys car. Who could it have been confused24.gif
tod914
Katman, good point. When I had my tires put on after painting, I used shelving contact paper around the center, and tape along the edge. Help to prevent the tire guy from messing up the new paint.
jimkelly
just called 2 powder coaters in delaware - one wanted $100 and the other wanted $150 - per rusty steel wheel. you west costers have iot made with les schwab. i can see why painting may be the only route.
rhodyguy
exactly jim. $400+ for the set is insane. even at $80 per i'd need a Valium to make that happen. explaining it to my wife i'd need a blanket for the couch.

just saw your post nate. i'll ask the boys at Les' this am. what was the turn around time? if they can't help me i'll ring up your local one . that's the Anacortes store right?

k
jimkelly
here is a CL for 5 restored for $350

this is less than PC alone

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/3040513358.html

jim
Mikey914
I used Les and they came back pretty good. They were about $28 each, so I did all 5.
Sad thing is I was hoping to sell the all for $350, but with shipping it's a pretty good chunk of change, so no takers.
You may just want to paint them to keep your cost down as there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for these wheels.
rhodyguy
note what looks like blast media under the paint where the outer ring meets the center in the last picture. if so, it's an ALL PRO finish. if that's the best one i wonder what the rest look like. @ $350 + shp? nope...

was the silver pc finish approx the same as the stock paint?

k
tod914
Here's a comparison of a nos factory wheel and one refinished with Wurth Alloy paint. Keep in mind the lighting is slightly different. Above taken outside, the refinished one taken in the garage. Next to each other, you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
i'm headed for les's to get pricing, pick the silver i want and drop off the wheels. out this sat and back the following. i'll report back. jim, you might want to do this if the price is right. they box them up for shipment and i get to keep the boxes.

k
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2012, 07:08 AM) *

exactly jim. $400+ for the set is insane. even at $80 per i'd need a Valium to make that happen. explaining it to my wife i'd need a blanket for the couch.

just saw your post nate. i'll ask the boys at Les' this am. what was the turn around time? if they can't help me i'll ring up your local one . that's the Anacortes store right?

k

Either the Anacortes and Burlington stores offer it (I've used both). I believe most, if not all, LS in the PNW offer it. They probably have a contract with one of the large PC outfits in Seattle of Bellingham. As I recall it took about 5 working days. . .
914werke
Hmmm...do they blast them as well or do they have to be paint ready?
rhodyguy
$25.34 per +tax. incl blasting, pc, no shipping$ on my end and the store is 2 miles from my house. piratenanner.gif they should be back on 6/9. i don't know how they can do it for that price. oh...they want to sell me tires too. dry.gif nope, have a near new set of 195/60/15 to put on. driving.gif

k
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2012, 10:01 AM) *

oh...they want to sell me tires too. dry.gif

Well, I'd expect that. . . What do they call that, "the come-runnin' service" shades.gif

I don't know how they do it either, but I'm glad they do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.